What A Sell Out!

Reading & Writing

Christopher Fowler #1 Kings Cross Station, 11.01.2013 (c) Stephen JonesInvisible Ink

Thanks to everyone who turned up at the excellent Watermark bookshop and The Parcel Yard for the launch of ‘Invisible Ink: How 100 Great Authors Disappeared’ – the entire stock of books vanished in minutes, so we adjourned to the pub and then to a hilariously odd Italian restaurant. It seems that readers are really keen on discovering these great missing authors, and if the book continues to do this well we’ll definitely be doing a follow-up volume next year.

Meanwhile, you can hopefully still find it in most good bookshops and online. I’ve already been mailed by a number of readers seeking out the books mentioned and suggesting new authors to cover. I thought I’d run out of vanished writers quite quickly, but the column has been running in the Independent on Sunday for several years now and my list of people to cover is getting longer every day.

Speaking of which, the latest column is in tomorrow’s Indie, as well as a feature editorial by me on the problem with crime fiction…

8 comments on “What A Sell Out!”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Nice photo, Admin. But is that, a scarf around your neck? Or have you been awarded a degree?
    We living here in the Former C’s are somewhat fashion deprived.

Hah! I was wondering the same thing, Dan, although after those pictures of so called male fashion I don’t think deprived is quite the right phrase.

3. Alan Morgan says:

The eyes have turned black in that picture since those last two comments and if you listen very carefully O Fortuna can now be heard in the background. Dan, Helen, you need to be careful. It was all in Paperboy after all. The pet rottie, the adoption, the odd nanny, the trauma suffered around the shooting at Guildford cathedral. The decapitated David Warner. Maybe.

I hd a massively long black scarf as it was very cold. But I couldn’t take it off as it’s attached to the waistcoat (peculiar fashion item purchased in sale)

5. Dan Terrell says:

Well, it looks quite excellent, although an invitation to a possible sneaky mugging in the tube/underground.
    Being a tad backed up on my C. Fowler holdings, Alan, I haven’t yet ordered my copy of Paperboy – yes, I will – and will order before the next install is published. (In your comment above are the last two lines bits from Paperboy or were you suddenly channelling friend Snowy?)

6. Rh says:

Laid up with a dodgy foot i read the book in one happy sitting, now just need to show some restraint and ration the hunting for some of these intriguing treats. Look foward to your next batch!

7. snowy says:

Alan is making a reference to a well known film starring Gregory Peck. And the only spoiler he missed was Patrick Troughton getting ‘kebab-ed’.

[OK, slightly cheating on my part, as I watched it only a couple of weeks ago].

8. glasgow1975 says:

ordered mine from Amazon (sorry but I had xmas vouchers!)