‘Of A Certain Age’: The Answers

London, Media

Screen-shot-2011-01-26-at-10.11.12

Okay teams, let’s take a look at the answers to what I thought was a ridiculously easy quiz – apparently not. Agatha – ‘Hancock’ is not a day of the week. Mr Groves? No, don’t look at your friend, I’m talking to you – poor score! Nell, take a bow for doing the days and times.

1. London’s most spectacular Santa visit was famously at Gamages, the department store torn down at Holborn Circus. Before you met Santa you got into a Heath Robinson-style rocket ship or a river boat.

2. Rinky tink pianists.

3. A Red Rover was a 5/- ticket that allowed you to travel anywhere in London on a bus for a day. A Twin Rover was 7/6d and included the tube.

4.Rag, Tag & Bobtail

5. A pencil – such was the paucity of prizes at the BBC in the 1950s. A cabbage if you lost.

6. This wasn’t Simpsons but Swan & Edgar (Simpsons was on Piccadilly, and is now Waterstones).

7. Surprised nobody got this. They drank tea and spat it out. The Twinings tea tasters stood in the window doing this all day long until well into the nineties.

8. Black and white stripes.

9. Wilson, Keppel and Betty. They started long before I was born and were still doing it into their dotage with the latest in a long line of Bettys. Dreadful act.

10. Sunday. The line is from ‘A Sunday Afternoon At Home’ – at the time considered one of the most innovative Hancock’s Half Hours ever recorded because it contained so much silence.

8 comments on “‘Of A Certain Age’: The Answers”

1. Chris Fowler says:

I’m “of a certain age”, but not London born and bred. However, managed to get some of these right, including Gamages (rather proud of myself for that). On question 4, why is the answer not Muffin the Mule? On question 8 – I’m not sure the question is very well worded, or maybe I am just being dense! I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t get the Hancock one, as I loved Hancock. Still do. Is that the same episode that has the line “at least my Mum’s custard used to move around”, the Lad commenting on Hattie Jacques’ cooking ability? Was it “custard” or “gravy”? Lord, my mind is going…. Anyway, a fun quiz, though I’m not sure if it’s “of a certain age” or “of a certain age and London born and bred”. I was living in Luton (or Loo’un, as the locals used to say) at the time, though I used the old Green Line buses to go and visit my Auntie and Uncle who lived in north London – travelled all on my own!

2. Ford says:

Shouldn’t number 10 have had a supplementary about gravy???

3. Dan Terrell says:

Ahhhh….. I had Swan & Edgar, but thought “you can’t possibly know that one” and didn’t enter it. And all the others, even the couple I thought I might possibly have a glimmer at… digital dust in the wind.
    Wait, wait. I know now: This is from the British Immigration test you wrote about some many weeks back. It is isn’t it? No wonder people try slipping in as illegals.
    And under which City of London manhole cover did you hide the black bobbin Crackerjack prize? Ridicuously easy quiz, my sack of coal!

4. Ford says:

Dan; if you’re having problems with English “culture” …. you won’t understand http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zs5v7

5. Adam says:

There is some excellent footage of Wilson, Kepple and Betty on YouTube – if you think entertainment is bad now, take a look and be thankful you weren’t there…

And wasn’t that fun, you lot? I should have got the Red Rover one because I know I read it in a (non-Fowler) story somewhere. Not Fowler and therefore not memorable?

7. agatha hamilton says:

I’m pretty sure it was gravy, though given I got Wilson, K and B wrong, ( could have sworn it was K,K and P) and couldn’t remember what day the Hancock was, am obviously unreliable.

8. agatha hamilton says:

I’m pretty sure it was gravy. Though given that I was wrong about Wilson, Keppel and Betty (could have sworn it was Keppel, K and B) and wrong about Simpson’s and couldn’t remember what day the Hancock was, am obviously unreliable. One thing I do remember is that Marshall and Snelgrove sent stuff down in beautifully designed boxes, black with flowers on them. – still have one in the attic so that’s right. And that the Army and Navy supplied everything by post – including hamsters and tropical fish, well not hamsters or fish by post, but delivered to the door.