Invisible Ink Is Visible Today!

Reading & Writing

The good news is that ‘Invisible Ink: How 100 Great Authors Disappeared’ is arriving in time to fill the Christmas stocking of a hated elderly relative, as the official publication date is December 6th, and it’s up on Amazon here – the ‘Temporarily out of stock’ label is there because it’s not physically in until next week.

In related news, Mammoth Books are doing individual copies of short stories – not quite sure why, but there you go – and I notice they’re doing one of mine. ‘Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside’ appeared in one of their collections, but for some reason it’s billed on websites as being 300 pages long. It’s not. It’s about 20 pages long. But it’s cheap.

It came about firstly because I was commissioned to write a story for the World Horror Convention souvenir book and, as the event was to take place in Brighton, it seemed logical to set a tale on the South coast of England. I had written a fantasy novel, Calabash, some years earlier, hinting at the dark madness of such seaside towns, which are the antithesis of their Mediterranean counterparts. I thought of the depressing Morrissey song “Every Day is Like Sunday”, which captures the awfulness of English resorts.

So there you go, now you know as much about it as I do, but I seem to remember that it’s a bloody good story. And it’s cheap. Merry Christmas.

Speaking of which, I’ll be running a special Bryant & May Christmas short story here later in the month, so watch out for it.

7 comments on “Invisible Ink Is Visible Today!”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Very fine news!
    Yes, “Temporarily out of stock” is an Amazon buzz-phrase for either “we haven’t got our mitts on it yet” or “it’s on the high seas.” I assume, though, that it is not being offered in a condensed edition. Amazon.uk lists it as “1 page” long and Amazon.com wisely lists the number of pages as “blank.”
    “Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside” is a very good short story. I read it in Red Gloves, volume #1.
    Okay, enough Fowler-appreciation geek stuff for the day.

2. snowy says:

On a related topic, Invisible Code had a very brief (sneeze and you’d miss it), mention on R4 Front Row’s recommended crime fiction list. Nothing on the Beeb’s website yet.

3. Paul Henderson says:

Well, Amazon are sending me regular updates on the availability of Invisible Ink – or, rather, non-availability. First, delivery was put off until somewhere in the second half of December (that’s allowing for posting to NZ, I should note), and just today it was ‘We don’t know when we’ll get this – do you want to cancel?’ which seems rather to contradict the publication date information. I’m not cancelling, but there would seem to be some confusion at least.

Good news about the short story, though – and that I will get in a timely fashion!

4. Wayne says:

Well thats the first Fowler to arrive electronicly for me At 77 new pence its really is cheap, Hope its worth the money… LOL. I will settle down with a coffee and read it later and let you know if its anything like our seaside town.

Can I download it to my hard drive since I don’t have a Kindle or whatever?

6. John Howard says:

Hi Helen, I know you can download the Kindle reader app onto your computer (even onto phone and iPad). When I go into the Kindle library from there I can download anything I have bought to the bit of hardware I want to use at that moment. Hope it works for you.

7. Dan Terrell says:

Exactly right, John. I have a dozen books on my PC using the free Kindle app, but the problem is I spend so much time at the PC I hate to continue for fear my heart will clog and my legs will shrink into knubs.