The Ultimate Reading Experience – Until The Next One

Media, Reading & Writing

What Devil did Phil Rickman sell his soul to in order to be the only author mentioned on Amazon’s latest Kindle-flogging page? So the Kindle Paperwhite is here, promising the ‘ultimate reading experience’ (next to a book, that is) and the whole format game has just got more complicated. Because the Kindle family is growing, and their Fire HD is now firmly establishing itself in iPad territory, which in my head removes it from being a reading device. Still, a gremlin of tech-desire is telling me that I need the Paperwhite.

I will justify this, my third Kindle purchase, by telling myself that as a professional reviewer and writer I need the best tools available. It can’t stop there, of course; then I’ll ‘need’ a colour version. The trick is to stop any overlap between your devices; I live on my Macbook Air, a laptop that does everything I need except run DVDs (you need a clunky peripheral on an absurdly short cable to do that) and this means that I don’t own an iPad. But that’s problematic as topical news sites migrate away from websites to apps.

The toaster became ubiquitous in the kitchens of the world because it was the first kitchen gadget designed to do just one thing well. There’s no need for it at all, but the idea was simple. So, too, the Kindle began as a way to read and store many books, but like the game you downloaded that insisted on becoming a worldwide social network, it now has delusions of grandeur and wants to upload your emails. The more it wants to be a tablet the less I want it.

And there’s no getting off the treadmill.

9 comments on “The Ultimate Reading Experience – Until The Next One”

1. Wayne says:

I feel the same way about mobile phones I want one that just does the basic job well but try and find one…..

As for Kindle, I have chosen the ‘Fire’ because I wanted a colour e-reader. Everything else it can do is just a bonus…. or is it?

2. Alison says:

I’m really obviously radically uncool and unhip because I love my Kindle and happily admit that I have fallen under its spell. I had the first generation, then replaced it with the touch. I admit that I like the look of the Paperwhite, but by the same token at the moment I’m using my first generation one again because the Touch has hiccuped. But I love my Kindle. End of story, really.

3. Dan Terrell says:

My wife likes her Kindle Fire from last Christmas, but still prefers handling a book. I read only books, except when I download a few old books or an impossible to find book. I do so by an app on my laptop. My cell phone, mobile, Handy – whatever – is so elderly its keyboard in in runes, still I really prefer it: fits in my right-hand jeans pocket (the little one above the deep pocket), has fine sound and gives great signal compared to my wife’s newer phone. Neither of them are Smartphones and our Sprint account is most affordable.
    And I must say I get a certain joy out of carrying and reading a new hardback book – the thicker the better – and/or pulling out my battered Samsung when I’m among a crowd of the screen-staring, tech-addicted surround. (Not dissing any reader!) And although I have a heavily-loaded iPod and, of course, a CD drawer in my PC, I love my old 4-channel system, some components of which are 40 years in service, and my 78s, 45s and 33 1/3s. And yes in a comparison test Cds don’t cut it against the sound of well-kept records; and they are coming back.
    Sorry guys, a curmudgeonly moment. Probably because I have a birthday later this month and I look forward to it, but also do a bit of looking back. Or as Martha Stewart would say: “And that’s a good thing.”

4. glasgow1975 says:

Tefal do a toaster that also fries an egg, and have just expanded the range to a ‘toast & beans’ model so even toasters want in on the multitasking these days!

I hope Admin isn’t suggesting that we sit by the fire with a toasting fork or use that funny little wire rack that huddles over a stove burner to make toast. The toaster that works best IMHO is the one with drop side doors and you monitor the brown-ness yourself. Or you impose the job on some passing child.

6. Gary says:

The best way to make toast is to use an oven grill. Toasters dry out the bread, in my opinion. You get the toast more quickly, but it doesn’t taste as nice, which is a silly trade off.

7. Kit says:

That same gremlin of tech-desire has been bugging me as well. I don’t have your excuse of being a professional writer and reviewer, and I have an iPad that I read books on (I had an old Kindle too, but it was stolen), but the new Kindle paperwhite is extremely alluring and I have been trying to come up with a good reason for why I really have to buy it.

8. m says:

How do you like the paper white vs. the Sony Reader? I think you’ve had one of those. Tempted by an ipad too but only for games.

9. John Howard says:

ADMIN, Get an iPad. I have a Kindle and my trusty, white, mac book as well but there are so many more ways of wasting time with an iPad.