Bryant & May: The Verdict

Bryant and May, Reading & Writing

Well, that was fun! As well as the extremely constructive and thoughtful comments posted on the site, I’ve received a huge number of emails about where to take my decrepit duo next, and I’ve acted accordingly.

I already had a loose raft of ideas mapped out, but I have now been able to shape them into roughly two novels with your input. One of these will definitely feature an incapacitated Bryant and lots of old cases in the course of uncovering a new one, while the other book will be pretty sinister and dark-themed.

Plus, more eccentric characters, strange bits of London, oddments of history, arcana, sleuthing, impossible murder and general weirdness. Oh, and something impossible happening in the ultimate locked room, the Tower of London.

Thanks to everyone who contributed thoughts and musings. If the publishers turn the outlines down, I’ll blame you. ‘It wasn’t me, Guv, honest – it was them *turns around* – oh, they’ve gone.’

17 comments on “Bryant & May: The Verdict”

1. ediFanoB says:

I discovered your Bryant & May series a few weeks ago and bought a copy of Full Dark House. After reading 300 pages the only thing I can say is
    “I fell in love (figuratively) with Bryant & May”
    Therefore I read with great pleasure that there will be more than the so far published ten books. I can’t afford to by them all at once but I will get copies of all the books.
    As I could read, Bryant & May solved 142 major cases between 1940 and 2003. I do not expect that you will deliver 142 Bryant & May books.

Thank you for an extraordinary reading pleasure.

2. Dan Terrell says:

By now you must be able to write a gnifty general query and half-page summary letter. We’re counting on your good self. Mone of that pointing over your shoulder with your thumb malarkey.
    Just make them as good as the Invisible Code was. Upward and onward; onward and upward.

3. Cid says:

Excellent.

4. BangBang!! says:

We could all turn up at the publisher colectively and kettle him until he agrees!

5. J. Folgard says:

Brilliant! I’ m looking forward to this (as always!)

6. John Howard says:

It was just fun knowing that an author we like would ask his readers for suggestions. There was then the additional belief that if you liked any of the ideas you would actually use them.

I agree with BangBang!!, if you need your own posse at the publishers just blog and we will be there.

7. Dan Terrell says:

It’s a fine blog isn’t it. Informative and friendly. And interactive. Only problem I’ve found so far is it’s addictive.

Great! We could do that flash mob thing we talked about some time ago, all arriving walking slowly to the publisher’s office (Bryant can’t walk all that quickly any more) and just stand there peering over our scarves and sucking on wintergreen sweets. (I wouldn’t suggest smoking any of Bryant’s tobacco.) I like just imagining the event.

9. Dan Terrell says:

Helen, I’m definitely up for that. Glad you rememembered. And I have a great Peshawar scarf that I could wear, it’s about 6 feet long. I can still do the moves, too, as long as there’s no requirement for dervish-whirling or spinning on your head. I’ve never hipped or hop (well, Bunny-Hopped, but pretend I didn’t type that.)
    Actually, I think it would be great fun to have a Bryant and May convention in London. All these people that we read nearly daily, but have no idea what they are otherwise like. There are the ten books and now the first comic is due. B&M con, London 2013. The Fowler Fans Fest.

10. Alan Morgan says:

It doesn’t have to be complicated, pick a pub several months in advance of time (and ideally when one or more of our foreign cousins are in town) and there it is. There are certainly a good few people familiar only by name here on this club-that-isn’t-a-club.

As for nudging publishers – be odd. Everyone sends to his address a small paper bag of cough candy twists, liquorice torpedos, or pear drops. Explain nothing. Include no note. It’s not exactly hassling someone for them to receive a small sweet shop one day is it?

11. BangBang!! says:

I’d defrost be up for a pub meet sometime. And yeah I like the idea of sending some sweets! My favourites are sherbet lemons. I never really took to pear drops.

12. Mike Cane says:

More Bryant & May! None of us can die until we’ve read all of them — so keep writing!

13. John Howard says:

Agree with all the above, would be up for our club that isn’t a club pub outing. Like the menacing sweets idea Alan

14. glasgow1975 says:

huzzah! ;)

Set a date for the sweet attack. Those of us overseas can approximate the date.

16. Jayne says:

Wouldn’t the pub meet have to be at the Ye Olde Mitre? That way if the menacing sweet plot gets out of hand, you’d all have time to scarper before the Cambridgeshire constabulary turns up.

Me I’m in the antipodes now so I’ll just raise a glass when the rest of you are meeting. I’m sure I can find other B&M-er’s here in Oz.

17. Sandra says:

I have been a regular at the library every other Tuesday for over 15 years (and in 3 different cities / states here in the US). About 2 months back, I picked up “The Victoria Vanishes.” WOW! How did I ever miss this series? Since then, I read every Bryant and May my library had, then requested the rest on our interlibrary loan network. I have shared them in forums and on my FB page. I love the way that you ravel a mystery around a bit of unknown London trivia. Pubs, the underground rivers (several life long LONDONERS posted on my FB page they had NO idea, lol!) and so on. What fun awaits the reader of this series.