Competition: Want To Come To A Party?

On August 2nd, ‘Bryant & May and the Invisible Code’ is launching in central London. You can win an invitation to the launch party by telling me where it’s going to be held. Here’s your clue.

You’ll find another clue in the shot’s title. In case of a tie, the winner will be determined by the WordPress time-clock.

18 comments on “Competition: Want To Come To A Party?”

1. Cid says:

London!

sorry..

2. Oliver says:

The Newman Arms? (Unless you’re actually going to hold it Newman Passage)

We have a winner! The still is from the opening of Michael Powell’s ‘Peeping Tom’, and the prostitute lives up those stairs in Newman Passage, W1, above the Newman Arms in a venue now called The Pie Room. Oliver, an invitation is on its way to you…

4. Jon Masters says:

OK, the picture comes from the film Peeping Tom, but all the pubs with that name are in Warwickshire

So I’ll try the Newman Arms in Rathbone Street

5. Alan Morgan says:

Congratulations, Oliver. :0)

6. Jon Masters says:

Aahhh – the embarrassment of a slow Internet connection. Well done Oliver !

7. Dan Terrell says:

Rats! So loaded against the Colonies. I’m going to urge our government to cut you out of the Triangular Trade!

8. Peter Lee says:

Would be nice if the competitions on here weren’t quite so London-centric. It’s a bit unfair to those of us who live further afield but are fans of your work, Chris.

Well Peter, the film is internationally famous and this is from the opening scene. So you only had to look at the unsmudged alleyway sign on YouTube and match it on Google Earth to get the answer right. Therefore I consider it very fair…

10. Stephen Groves says:

well done Oliver

STALKY

11. Peter Lee says:

Famous it may be, but I’ve never heard of it or the director. Next time could the competitions perhaps be more related to the books so if we’re fans we’ll all have a fairer chance of knowing the answer? Just a thought.

12. Alan Morgan says:

‘For an invite to the launch here’s a picture of where it is, with a slightly blurred street sign’

I live 300 miles from London Peter, and I got it. Fair play now, London is one of the major characters in the books. Anyone looking into it will learn that bit more about the city – for me, that’s a good chunk of the charm of the series. Pretty much any question about B&M will concern London.

13. John says:

Never heard of Michael Powell? Sacrilege! Peter ought to find a DVD copy of PEEPING TOM tonight and watch this brilliant and creepy shocker for his confessed mortal sin. Then as additional penance I order viewings of THE RED SHOES, BLACK NARCISSUS, I KNOW WHERE I’M GOING! and of course THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD.

Father John, Our Lady of the Holy Silver Screen

14. snowy says:

‘Peeping Tom’ for a first offence!, that’s a bit harsh. When Peter came here I don’t think he was expecting ‘The Spanish Inquisition’.

Holy Father, I would plead for clemency as his sin was only that of not knowing, and ask for his sentence to be reduced to ‘A Matter of Life and Death’,(and a bit of light scourging, don’t worry if you are a bit too busy, to do it yourself. I’ll do it on freelance basis, reasonable rates, distance no object, have own scourge).

I’m sorry Peter, you brought this on yourself. You’re banished, banished, banished. I’m getting myself a new tucker-inner.
    (Movie; anyone? Clue – Jack Lemon.)

16. John says:

The Great Race! Any prizes? A copy of INVISIBLE CODE, perhaps? (wink,wink nudge,nudge)

17. annie morgan says:

Is there a link to somewhere one can comment generally on Christopher Fowler’s books, without interrupting an incomprehensible thread?

Annie, see new post today.