Welcome, Olympians!

Film, London

So, the welcoming committee for the arriving 2012 Olympic athletes got off to a suitably bonkers British start with dancers throwing themselves off bridges, revolving on ladders in Trafalgar Square and generally displaying a touch of Monty Python about their hales & Hellos. I think it’s all going to get a bit silly.

8 comments on “Welcome, Olympians!”

1. Madeline says:

Admin, would you expect it any other way? I’m looking forward to the delightfully bonkers ‘Godiva Awakens’, though it maybe a tad too British.

2. Dan Terrell says:

“Godiva Awakens”? – someone, please, for the geographically removed. Here it’s a brand of chocolate candy.
    The B&M release advances: 17/18 days remain. Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock

3. Madeline says:

It’s basically a giant, moving sculpture of Lady Godiva’s head mounted on 100 bicycles, all ridden in unison. I take it you know the infamous story of Lady Godiva. Her, Wulfrun and Aethelflaed were three wonderful Saxon noblewomen from the Midlands who were renowned for their exploits!

4. Dan Terrell says:

Thank you, Madeline. I do know Lady Godiva, but in the version I’ve read, heard and seen in the old movie, she was not riding on 100 bicycles, which seems a stretch, but on a horse. She may have possibly been the proto-Madonna, but without the bodystocking and the ability to sing, if somewhat thinly. Oh, and the original was, I think, a native not an import. Or am i wrong?

I’m glad there’s going to be British silliness to remove some of the inevitable stuffiness there always is around the Olympics. (We have Olympic meats and Olympic pizza, oldish firms who were hassled by the Olympics committee because of their names. Someone had enough sense to back off in time. In R.F. Delderfield’s Swann saga the patriarch says that he does not understand this paying men for their ability to run fast or play a game well. Those are pastimes and pointless as well so why should people pay to see them do it? Good point and no one has given me a good answer, other than a person doing anything well is a pleasant sight or sound (dancers, instrumentalists and singers).

I must cure myself of the bracket, parentheses habit; either that or close them somewhere along the line.

7. Dan Terrell says:

Sometimes it’s good to leave your words away out.

I hear some athletes’ first experience of London was a four hour drive by a driver who was lost. I understand that one because we had drivers during the 2010 Olympics who hadn’t been properly briefed but there are lots of good guides to London.

Posted In