It Came From Behind The Shelf No.4

Reading & Writing, World

Another poke about down the back of the bookshelves produces a file of covers – no point in me saving the Polish edition of ‘Spanky’ – from editions around the world, including Japan, Russia, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Sweden and a few countries I can’t quite place. What’s missing is the staggeringly awful Balkan edition of ‘Soho Black’ (God, what did they make of that novel?) featuring cut-out shots of Sylvester Stallone glued to an exploding-car collage in what I assume to be a Heath Robinson version of Photoshop.

Once again we see the bizarre and sometimes lovely difference between European art and their UK counterparts. A Bryant & May cover chooses not to feature the detectives but a tiny ballerina – or perhaps she’s far away. ‘Spanky’ seemed to bring out the best and worst in Euro-design, ranging from a lurid purple devil to a dance with Death. The Japanese covers are the most graceful, their format minuscule, managing to make our airport editions look clumsy and vulgar.

Surprisingly, seeing as it’s set in Eastern Europe, no foreign rights have been picked up on ‘Hell Train’ – I’d love to see what a Polish or Croatian artist could do with that!

(Click to enlarge shot)

10 comments on “It Came From Behind The Shelf No.4”

1. Brian says:

It would appear that Admin has had second thoughts about doing something “unusual” and deleted the post I read here just a couple of hours ago although I notice that his reference to it still remains in the responses to an earlier post.

Personaly, I agree with the deletion as I thought he was unnecessarily belittling himself as a result of a previous discussion. We don’t always have to bow to a perceived lowest common denominator in the arts so long as we acknowledge people are free to enjoy whatever books, films, etcetera they choose.

2. glasgow1975 says:

I’m sorry to say I never really enjoyed Hell Train :( hated the cover and felt it was doing too good a job of being a Hammer movie! I’d rather have been watching it than reading it!

Thank you for that. I was feeling quite good about life earlier today.

4. Gretta says:

Even though it’s a bit grue, I quite like that Soho Black one. What on earth’s the one with the Vermeer-y woman, though(bottom row, second from left)?

Funny how we feel the cover is part of the book, although the author so often has no say in it. I like the little ballerina and I have only started Hell Train so I can’t judge yet. It’s going to my calligraphy conference in Portland (Oregon)with me so we’ll see how it travels.

6. glasgow1975 says:

:( sorry
    I meant that it was too good at being a ‘lost’ Hammer I’d rather have been watching it & as such the ‘book’ felt like a let down since it WASN’T a Hammer film.
    Does that make sense?

You might be more pleased to hear I bought Roofworld off ebay recently, and have only just now noticed I have my own original copy. . .I know there’s one of the early ones I haven’t read, bought the wrong one!
    In my defence most of my books were in storage for a year and I’ve been unpacking. . .

7. glasgow1975 says:

Maybe the newly resurrected Hammer can make it? :P

8. Hangar Queen says:

She’s not little……..She’s faaaaar awaaay!

Don’t worry Glasgow – I’m messin’ witcha. I wrote the Hammer book Hammer could never afford to film, unfortunately.

It’s available to option, everyone!

10. glasgow1975 says:

the latest new post got me worried ;)