To Infinity And Beyond Hope

Observatory, The Arts

When I was a kid space travel was being suggested as a reality for the first time, but who would go? The greatest minds from our planet, obviously. Ambassadors from the Earth who had earned, through bravery, achievement, diligence, genius and innovation, the right to set forth into the star field as representatives at the very pinnacle of human civilisation.

Instead, it’s been disclosed that the early Virgin Galactic flights will have on board Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Princess Beatrice and Ashton Kutcher. So it’s less NASA and more like The Jetsons. Although Judy Jetson didn’t solely owe her fame to appearing in a sex tape, as far as I can remember. They’ll be travelling with Formula 1 drivers Rubens Barrichello and Niki Lauda, scientists James Lovelock and Stephen Hawking, so they’ll obviously have a lot to catch up on.

What went wrong? It turns out that the bright new future is for the super-rich only. Not the educated, the dedicated or even the religious, who must content themselves with woolly promises of an afterlife. It appears that the concept of the Protestant work ethic had flaws we could scarcely imagine.

A recent factoid being touted about by the press at the moment is that one in four born now will live to be 100. Somehow, I don’t think that applies to all of us equally, either.

Oh, and by the way, there’s a live action Jetsons movie coming. Perhaps it will star Ashton Kutcher.

6 comments on “To Infinity And Beyond Hope”

1. snowy says:

Early space flights are always dangerous, even NASA tested the first flights with chimps, perhaps Virgin are doing the same.

Or perhaps this is the B ark?

2. Hangar Queen says:

While my initial reaction was a rather Darth Vaderish ‘Nooooo’ I know see that Snowy has nailed it. Mind you to see Paris Hilton and the word ‘Virgin’in the same article would have had to involve space travel.Possibly even alternate universes.

3. Hangar Queen says:

Ah feck it anyway. For ‘know’ read ‘now’ in my previous.

4. Vickie says:

Isn’t it somewhat heinous to put the names “Paris Hilton” and “Stephen Hawking” in the same paragraph? It’s equally difficult to visualize their human forms sharing a small container for a lengthy journey. And what is going to happen when Paris inevitably changes her mind? Will someone be kind enough to open a door and let her out?

Why do we always think that worth will win out, when it’s usually wealth. I understand Mr. Hawking wanting to go, but I hope neither the trip nor Paris Hilton have a bad effect on his health.

6. Gretta says:

Have just realised the tags for this are the Jetsons, Paris Hilton, and Stephen Hawking. That is just bizarre.

As for the ‘B Ark’ theory, that has alarmed me more than I can say. Every time I start to think about it, my brain just shuts down in an act of desperate self-preservation.