Bryant & May’s ‘Invisible’ Foe

Arriving on August 2nd, ‘Bryant & May and the Invisible Code’ brings you a novel of witches, murder, madness, hidden clues (there’s one on the cover) and impossible crimes, all played out in some of London’s more unusual locations. It also brings a new home for Mr Bryant and his long-suffering landlady, several new characters and a new villain I’m rather pleased with, who’s based on a friend of mine (who may not be after he reads the book).

This time we’ll also have a competition wherein you can win an invitation to the launch in one of London’s ‘glittering’ *laughs sarcastically* launch venues, where you can get a free copy signed. And as I don’t have a contract that extends beyond this book, it may be the last time you see us all together.

The idea of the Peculiar Crimes Unit always hanging on by the skin of its teeth came from a quick study of my writing career. Although I’ve produced a number of books in runs, trios and quartets, I’ve never stayed in one place for very long, preferring to hop genres and confound publishers. It’s what’s kept me off the British bestseller lists (that and a love of esoteric subjects and long words) but I tend to think of myself as a jobbing writer who can turn his hand to most things.

Which is why my next book will be my personal take on the traditional supermarket thriller. I’m just finishing it now, and had to fight to stay within the genre because I’m predisposed to drift into unchartered waters at the drop of a hat. The discipline has been good for me, but I’ll reserve judgement until someone has actually read it.

13 comments on “Bryant & May’s ‘Invisible’ Foe”

1. Alison says:

================

And that’s the reason you have such a dedicated and loyal following.

2. Jenny Campbell says:

Am really excited about this.LOVE these guys/books. Hope to get to the launch this time. Just a tip. Last time you said the first 5 to get it right but didn’t announce winners etc and people may have missed being able to attend.:( Best of luck with whatever path your works take you but would still dearly love more B&M works..

3. Martin Gore says:

Hear, hear Alison. Admin is one of the most criminally underrated writers this country has ever produced, imo. I’ve read every book since I read a review of Roofworld in Fear magazine a very long time ago, and I have never been disappointed. Long may he continue & screw the narrow-minded preconceptions of who, what and where he should write! We love you, Chris :)

4. Connor says:

I’ve just finished Seventy Seven Clocks, and popped by here on my way to Amazon or similar to pick up the next in the series. If you run a competition and I win, I’ll promise you two things: Firstly, to read all nine Bryant and May books before August 2nd, and Secondly, to pay the airfare from here in Australia so I can be there at the launch with you!

Are you absolutely sure you know what you’re committing to???

6. Vickie says:

Well, I’m not quite as determined as Connor to attend The Launch(due to financial constraints), but I submit two thumbs in anticipation of the arrival of “The Invisible Code” (which I just pre-ordered at amazon.co.uk). Tapping the table impatiently awaiting its arrival…amazon doesn’t actually SHIP until the release date!

Also, the special bookcase I bought just for my CF books (a little red phone kiosk, door and all, about 3′ high) is too full to accept any more entries…so I’ve begun stacking the books on top (soon will resemble Jenga).

7. Ned says:

I’Ve bought all your books since Roof World (with the exception of Red Bride , which I couldn’t get hold of) and they give me infinite pleasure. Greatly looking forward to another Fowl read…

8. Jen says:

If Connor does what he promises to do, I reckon he deserves an invitation to a ‘glittering’ launch venue. No competition required.

9. BangBang!! says:

Can I join the love-fest? I have a top shelf (fnar fnar) dedicated to my CF books and look forward to adding this one. I’m putting away any 5 pence pieces I get so I should have enough by release date! I’m getting quite excited now!

10. Chris Lancaster says:

It’s ironic how the PCU hanging on to existence seems always to mirror your Bryant & May publishing deals hanging onto existence. Apologies if that sounds harsh! I sometimes wonder why the B&M novels aren’t more popular, and can only think that they fall between two genres (crime and the supernatural, perhaps), so confuse some more easily-bewildered readers.

Hopefully there’ll be yet more B&M, though, and there’s still the PS B&M book to come – is there any update on when that is due? In the meantime, I’m counting down the days to The Invisible Code, and am sorry that you won’t be in Hull – there are very few things that would make me go there, but the chance to hear you read, perhaps meet you, and to get a signed copy of Four For Fear – all those things made the 160 mile round trip to Hell (oops, sorry – Hull) more than worthwhile.

11. J. Folgard says:

By my last count, I’ve been reading your work (be it novels or short stories) for about twenty years now. I’m far from being a completist, but it’s been hours and days of great reading, so -more, please! Cheers!

12. Lulu says:

Am on my fourth Bryant & May book. Just put in a request to my public library (Pasadena, CA, USA) to obtain your new “The Invisible Code”. I am so hooked!

Although I’m not a writer, I can understand one’s beginning to feel a little hemmed in after a long series. And Arthur and John are not teenagers. But those of us who love these wonderfully quirky, very literate, intelligent, grownup books begin to feel wistful when you speak of their no longer being written. Mourning in advance?

Thank you for hours of pleasure and a great deal of laughing to myself….

13. Robin says:

Im looking forward to the next B&M also, I have read and re read them all, they are in my hallowed collection of books that I hang onto. They live in the special “books to be kept forever” book case.I do hope they continue, as if B&M do stop , they may just give up on life.Once i buy the books, they usually sit on a shelf for a while til the time is right to read them.So far, I havent read one that I havent had to ration myself with.Its such a shame that plans to make a tv series hasnt come to fruition as they would work so well and be a real treat for the fans. ah well, such is life.