Hello? Hello?

Observatory

You know you want one. A mobile with a dial? Come on! (Can’t seem to find out if it actually works…)

7 comments on “Hello? Hello?”

1. Peter A says:

It seems to be a rendered mock/graphic – http://www.diervek.com/

2. wayne says:

I want one, I just love it.

3. Gretta says:

Very nice, even if they are fake.

Question: are those American dials? In NZ, dials started from a sort of SSW position and dialled clockwise.

4. Dan Terrell says:

Hey Gretta: Yes, that is indeed a traditional North American rotary dial. One dialed clockwise starting with the numeral one. For one you rotated down a distance of two finger-“holes” to the crescent stop bar and it made a fine click-click rotating back up. The higher numbers made the nicest tip-tip-tip-tip sound as the dial went back. Now, it’s all poking or tapping and not romantic at all. Arthur Bryant would understand; probably still has one for Alma to use to call him a cab.
    “Shorty dropped a dime on Big Bill and phoned dah cops.” Times change.

5. I.A.M. says:

Due to now having an iPhone (the 4S, for those who care) I have entered the world of the ‘phone box avoiding visitor in London’ (although the insides are so entertainingly decorated, if a tad smelly), much to the presumed pleasure of Admin.

ANYWAY, the point here is that the ability to peruse “apps” for said mobile telephone is now possible. I just plonked “Star Trek” into iTunes, and even after filtering my way down to only applications, the quantity of things listed is enough to make one scream. I might try “rotary” or “dial” in a minute, simply being inspired by this above. If no one hears anything from me for the next four years, you know what’s happened: I’ve not yet arrived at the end of the list of all the offered products there.

6. Gretta says:

Dan, indeed. And keeping your finger in the dialling hole so you could try to push it back faster when you were in a hurry. Or dialling too fast, and whacking your finger on that stop bar. Happy days.

This photo, as it turned out, did my head in for far too much of today, wondering if I’d completely misremembered how our old phones worked. Oh well. I *do* remember, however, that forever and a day we had one of those heavy old black Bakelite phones, with which you could easily stove someone’s head in with the handpiece if you so chose.

I.A.M, so nice to see you still about. I thought we’d lost you there for a minute.

7. Steve says:

We have a replica of an old (circa 1920, with the bells on the outside) wall mounted rotary dial phone. The dial doesn’t actually move, the “holes” are really push-buttons. It’s convincing from a distance though. I suspect this one’s the same – push buttons disguised as finger holes.

Posted In