‘I Have A Curious Feeling This Is All Some Kind Of Literary Plot.’

Media, Observatory

I was in ‘thinking mode’ yesterday (staring out of window with mouth open pretending to write book) which meant catching up on some saved sites, and in the interests of oh, I don’t know, sheer caprice, I thought I’d Pinterest a few here today. I’m quite interested in the speed with which fads rise and break upon the national conscience. Naturally, wars, famines, human rights abuses etc rarely chart. Or as the editor said in ‘The Front Page’, ‘Bury the earthquake story and run the penguins – it’s human interest’). This is how fast internet stories break;

This was the best April Fool’s Day prank I saw this year, although my Mum probably would have thought it was real just before asking; What’s YouTube?’

Today’s column title comes from Batman, and someone has thoughtfully assembled all fourteen window cameos. Good luck explaining Sammy Davis Jr to under-forties (actually I have no idea who some of these people are).

For some, just owning an iPad isn’t enough. It simply doesn’t say ‘look at me, I’m a wealthy First-Worlder’. For those, an appallingly awful Liverpudlian called Stuart Hughes has created this object. It’s a 3G-equipped iPad 2 with the back panel replaced by one made of solid 24ct gold. The Apple logo is inset with 53 diamonds.

But what’s that you say? It still doesn’t tell the world enough about your Deposed Dictator status? The screen edge is made of ammolite, one of the rarest minerals on Earth, made from prehistoric ammonites. But here’s the kicker; Hughes then takes actual Tyrannosaurus rex thigh bones and shaves them into the finish. And covers the iPad’s home button with a platinum base studded with 12 outer diamonds and a single 8.5ct centrepiece. Visit his site and you can see many more throw-uppy ‘luxury’ items with random diamonds glued onto them here.

Speaking of pointless things, here’s something pointless but cooler; a site that provides you with the timeline of anything you type into it. Want to see every single Madonna makeover or what sofas looked like in the fifties? Type ’em in here

There are certain things you know that you’ll pass on to future generations. Like the only two things anyone remembers about swans; they mate for life and can break a child’s arm. But come on, have you ever seen a swan break a child’s arm? And that thing about soldiers having to break step when crossing bridges. But that one, it appears, is true. Behold this gentleman. Although I want to know why he owns so many metronomes.

And if you think you’re getting too old for this, you’re not the only one.

8 comments on “‘I Have A Curious Feeling This Is All Some Kind Of Literary Plot.’”

1. Nostalgia.Detected says:

The Photo Timeline site is wonderful. I could waste hours on that one!

2. karin says:

It is always an entertaining day for us when Christopher has trouble focusing on the task at hand.
    Thanks for Batman & Robin, one of my secret pleasures!

3. Sam Tomaino says:

Most of the window cameos were recognizable if they weren’t actually indentified: Jerry Lewis, Dick Clark (his “American Bandstand” was based in Philadelphia), Green Hornet & Kato (as played by Van Williams & Bruce Lee, produced by producer of “Batman”), Sammy Davis, Jr., Bill Dana as his stereotypical Mexican Jose Jimenez in many records. Had his own tv series. Seen in THE RIGHT STUFF), Howard Duff (ex-husband of Ida Lupino, had a tv show at the time called “Felony Squad”), Werner Klemperer (as Col Klink from “Hogan’s Heroes), Ted Cassidy (as the harpsishord-playing Lurch from “The Addams Family”), Don Ho (Hawaiian singer), Santa Claus (played by Andy Devine), Art Linkletter (tv host of “People Are Funny” and others), Edward G. Robinson), Suzy Knickerbocker (gossip columnist) and the one that even I didn’t know Cyril Lord, aka “The Carpet King, textile entrepreneur)

Loved the “I’m too old…” especially as it started & ended with my husband’s favourites.

5. Gretta says:

Oh Lord. Please tell me ‘Suzy Knickerbocker’ was her real name.

I love that Adam West/Burt Ward Batman, too. And Julie Newmar, natch. She was the one true Catwoman.

In a similar ilk to the metronomes, there’s the ‘pendulum waves’ which is an adaption of Newton’s Cradle via Harvard. It’s hypnotic…

6. Sam Tomaino says:

Alas, no. Her real name was Aileen Mehle. She was born in El Paso, Texas (as Aileen Elder). She was based in New York City, so I guess that’s why she took the name. Her sole IMDb credits are that appearance on “Batman” & 11 appearances on the quiz show “What’s My Line?” She seems to be still alive and would be 90 years old.

7. Gretta says:

Thanks, Sam. Pity about the name not being real. No disrespect to her parents’ choice, but I think ‘Suzy Knickerbocker’ trumps ‘Aileen Mehle’ as far as names go.

8. Pietro Rossi says:

Wow! Hours of endless fun to be had here. Thanks, work will just fly by now!