Jack’s Back

Great Britain, London, Media

In 1948, with Britain still enduring ration books (they would for another five years), the GB Olympics team had to bring their own sandwiches if they wanted lunch during the games, and sports kits were of the itchy school gym variety. Now we have a fashion show just for the unveiling of Stella McCartney’s futuristic designs, which in some cases look like the X Factor crossed with Spiderman.

They’re pretty cool, but she could at least have added wings or a jetpack.
Meanwhile, on the London streets this morning, I noticed at least ten different Union Jack clothing designs – has the flag finally lost its connotations of nationalism and been allowed back as an iconic fashion pattern?

9 comments on “Jack’s Back”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Glad that Jack’s back, but over here we still pretty much don’t wear the Union Jack, for some old reason.
    Your PM mentioned the burning of the White House, while he was visiting us recently, and got a cautious laugh from the crowd. I did, however, notice there appeared to be an unusually large number of fire extinguishers stationed about, so …
    Lastly, I wonder if at night, and at a distance, the “patch” on the dark blue shorts might not be mistaken by many for a mini loincloth. What’s the women’s version like?

Kinda sexy. The patch makes him look like a BA stewardess serving dinner.

3. Dan Terrell says:

Anything on the back?
    With the street arrow to go left down below and the closely-focused Google Earth section of road map on top, perhaps a nice wide Streets-of-London silk tie would go well, too.
    Wonder if Stella was listening to Abby Road when she designed.

4. Gretta says:

Sorry, but Union Jack clothing will forever make me think of The Goodies and Tim Henman. I do, however, quite like the gold Union Jack in the background.

At the recent World Cycling Champs, the NZ team wore something that looked for all the world like sweatshirt fabric. Horrible skintight grey marle monstrosities. I will weep if that’s what they’ll be tottering around in at the Olympics.

5. Madeline says:

It’s quite fun and very different (I am very attached to the Team GB design from the Sydney Olympics, but then that’s possibly the last year the world seemed a more innocent place for my generation in the U.K).

There is an awful lot of Union Jack styled merchandise proliferating in the shops at the moment (from Tesco to John Lewis, retailers seem to have gone Olympics mad).

6. Alan Morgan says:

Reminds me of Alan Davis era Captain Britain comics.

That dress is an extremely flattering design and the colours work so well. I haven’t seen the Canadian outfits yet, but it will be red and white in some form with some grey in there for contrast, probably. What’s with this fashion thing anyway? They’re shorts, shirts and jackets or whatever specialized outfits you need for your sport. They have to be comfortable, facilitate your goal achievement and have your national colours. Beyond that – what?

8. Pietro Rossi says:

Love the idea that athletes bring their own sandwiches.

9. Gretta says:

Nowt to do with clothing, but did I hear correctly that there is a hosepipe ban in the South, incl London, and that only places like the Olympic equestrian venues are exempt? So not just the possibility of ‘bring your own butties’, but ‘bring your own drinks’, and ‘bring your own moist towelettes’.