Be Afraid, Readers

Reading & Writing

Just when you thought you were safe from any new Fowler-related products coming your way…

‘Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood’ US edition (mauvey!) and the UK paperback (lush!) are here. And my first e-story for Transworld outsold John Grisham (blimey!) Also, there’s renewed interest in my mad-as-an-old-man’s-trousers novel ‘Plastic’. Older readers may recall that this book was ‘re-edited’ by certain interested parties – the only time I have ever allowed this to happen – and it was emasculated in the process. I kept the publishers’ readers’ comments at the time, and when (not if) we get it published, I’m going to name and shame them. ‘Plastic’ will be rewritten and restored to its gory glory.

Also incoming is The Mammoth Book of Body Horror: Twenty-Five Stories of Transformation, Mutation and Contagion, edited by Paul Kane & Marie O’Regan.

This unique anthology examines the sub-genre of ‘Body Horror’, tracing its origins up to the most modern exponents of the form. Featuring a ‘who’s who’ of horror literature, and including the stories those classic Body Horror movies – The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator – were based on. Full Table of Contents below:

TRANSFORMATION by Mary Shelley; THE TELL-TALE HEART by Edgar Allan Poe; HERBERT WEST: RE-ANIMATOR by H.P. Lovecraft; WHO GOES THERE? John W. Campbell; THE FLY by George Langelaan; TIS THE SEASON TO BE JELLY by Richard Matheson; SURVIVOR TYPE by Stephen King; THE BODY POLITIC by Clive Barker; THE CHANEY LEGACY by Robert Bloch; THE OTHER SIDE by Ramsey Campbell; FRUITING BODIES by Brian Lumley; FREAKTENT by Nancy A. Collins; REGION OF THE FLESH by Richard Christian Matheson; WALKING WOUNDED by Michael Marshall Smith; CHANGES by Neil Gaiman; OTHERS by James Herbert; THE LOOK by Christopher Fowler; RESIDUE by Alice Henderson; DOG DAYS by Graham Masterton; BLACK BOX by Gemma Files; THE SOARING DEAD by Simon Clark; POLYP by Barbie Wilde; ALMOST FOREVER by David Moody; BUTTERFLY by Axelle Carolyn; STICKY EYE by Conrad Williams. Introduction by Stuart Gordon (Director of Re-Animator and From Beyond)

9 comments on “Be Afraid, Readers”

1. Dan Terrell says:

Which e-story outsold John Grisham? B&M’s Mystery Tour? Breathe? Or something else? Let’s not be reticent now; can’t purchase what we don’t know is out there.
    Looking back over your 2012 posts announcing coming publication, I am beginning to think your constant and worried readers needn’t stage the planned intervention that was under consideration. Instead one heck of a start to this year. Now why not start the next B&M, flog it to your U.S. publisher and sell it back to a British house. Perhaps you could get it on the market by the end of next March, as part of the celebration. Hint, hint.

Th awful thing is I can’t remember! It was a new story…I do have lots of other stuff in the cupboard – this info is for you especially STALKY, who was caught quizzing my partner last night about what was coming up that he could get the jump on!

No fair, Stalky! Besides, Admin has him sworn to silence.

4. Gretta says:

Ahhh, Stalky, Ace of Spies. Well played, that man. 🙂

5. I.A.M. says:

Given that I’ve tried thrice to make That Which is Called “Plastic” Again happen to no success (for a variety of reasons), I cannot wait to read it in its new original form!

What a mess of tenses that is. But it’s accurate… sort of?

6. Alan Morgan says:

Stalky is our king.

7. Dan Terrell says:

Do we now know Why STALKY was given his tag name?

8. J. Folgard says:

Great news -I recently read ‘Hell Train’ and loved it, I hope you’ll work with Solaris (and Graham Humphreys) again soon! I’m also stoked for the anthology: I love those Mammoth Books, in fact they rekindled my love for the genre and nudged me towards Bryant & May, when one of your stories was featured in Stephen Jones’ brilliant series (it was the 2004 edition, I think). I’m ordering all this as soon as I set foot in my bookshop!

I hesitated about Hell Train but at BookCrossing last night one book on offer was that exact item. The previous owner said,”Lots of blood and dismemberment but not scary and there are funny bits.” Well, that was enough for me. It’s come home with me and we’ll see how it goes. Then I’ll have to find a good place to release it. The university library? the opening of the Roundhouse’ turntable? The railway museum? I’d release it at the Historic Downtown Street Railway, but it looks as if the city isn’t going to fund it this year. (Don’t get me started.) Take it to Portland’s railway (oops! railroad down there)station? So many possibilities. But I have to read it first.