No Sun On Sunday

Media

If you’re thinking about buying the Sun on Sunday out of curiosity value (and I don’t suppose you are because you wouldn’t be reading this) it might be worth remembering that the News of the World hacked a murdered girl’s telephone and tricked her parents into thinking she was still alive. And that this is that paper under a new name, just six months later.

My paternal grandparents were proudly and defiantly working class, and read the Daily Mirror at a time when it was an intelligent fair-minded newspaper aimed at those largely in blue-collar employment. Its articles on unionisation and bosses were concise and admirably clear-headed, and reflected what its readers thought without simply parroting their beliefs.

The Sun changed all that, with its squalid sexism, racism and homophobia. Of course these days we ascribe those undesirable traits to the Daily Mail, which presents them in a more subtly snide form, while the Sun noodles about with sex and drugs gossip.

Frivolity is fine in a Sunday paper – isn’t that what Sundays are for? But the continuation of the NOTW in another guise is a step too far.

Meanwhile, the Daily Express, the Maddie-and-royals obsessed rag that manages to moan about Britain’s vanished manufacturing base while complaining about Europe – and never connecting the two facts – has a new deal. If you buy one of a range of products at a WH Souk you get the Express free and the price of what you’re buying reduced – so the Express is paying you to read it! Surely, a first?

9 comments on “No Sun On Sunday”

1. Gretta says:

There’s a German word – backpfeifengesicht – which means, if I remember correctly, a face asking to have a fist in it. That was my immediate thought on seeing that photo.

Gretta, my German dictionary will only get me as far as backpfeifen, but since that’s a slap on the face I’ll take the rest on trust. A wonderful word to have on hand.

3. Dan Terrell says:

Gretta & Helen: My wife yells back to me from the living room: “It’s dialect. So “a slap on the head or face,” is what it is, but ‘a face badly in need of a fist’ is more poetic.” So take your pick. Or phone Tony the character on NCIS and ask him. He’s probably received close to 150+ back-of-the-head-slaps from J. Gibbs on the show NCIS.

4. BangBang!! says:

That’s fantastic Gretta! I’ll never remember it in a month of Sundays of course but I’ll definitely allude to it during bitchy conversations. Not that I have those being a full on bloke and all!

Thanks Gretta – That’s my new favourite word!

6. Reuben says:

Re: Express deal
    “Surely, a first?”
    Actually no. There was a long period last year that whenever I went into WHSmiths to buy a magazine I’d be offered a free copy of The Sun (sometimes it was the Times) plus 40p or so off whatever I was buying. Must of cost NI (& WHS) a fair amount to do this, but I guess to appeal to advertisers newspapers have to inflate readership figures somehow.

7. Alan G says:

My money remains in my pocket.

8. Gretta says:

You can thank a book called Tingo* for me knowing backpfeifengesicht. It’s full of brilliant words that the English language really should thieve.

*Tingo itself means someone who borrows your stuff, piece by piece, until you have nothing left. 🙂

Our library has Tingo, too, but not at our branch. Expedition coming up.

Posted In