Bryant & May’s Bumper Year

Bryant and May

Well they may not be coming to TV screens just yet, but my ancient detectives will be with you in other ways.

Coming in August is the last book in my current Bryant & May contract, ‘Bryant & May and the Invisible Code’. I’ve now delivered it, and it’s a little longer than usual, with a fair number of surprises. And as a bonus for regular readers, plenty of in-jokes. Plus I’ve got a couple of new characters who I’ll be using again if I get renewed.

Over the past ten years Transworld and Random House have shown extraordinary loyalty to the series, despite setbacks from deadbeat TV commissioners and a total lack of interest from French publishers, who always carried my work. It’s partly as a thank-you that Keith Page and I have finished ‘The Bryant & May Casebook’, which contains two stories, ‘The Soho Devil’ and ‘The Severed Claw’, and a host of extras including all of Keith’s alternative covers, the collected contents of Mr Bryant’s bookshelves and a sketch gallery.

What next – a musical?

18 comments on “Bryant & May’s Bumper Year”

1. FabienneT says:

What a shame you couldn’t find a French publisher.
    My mum would love the Bryant and May series but cannot read them in English!
    The Bryant and May Casebook sounds great… 🙂

2. Peter A says:

New B&M can’t wait…

At the speed I read and the time I actually have to read it should be perfect timing.

I’ve just finished ‘Hell Train’ this morning. I hadn’t read a horror for a good few years so was surprised just how much I got into it and thoroughly enjoyed. ‘Red Gloves’ is next…

PS Is the young lady/man in the illustration planking? 😉

3. Alison says:

I can’t believe you won’t be renewed – as long as you have the stories to tell, you will have a loyal following, of that I’m quite sure, and it would be a foolish publisher who didn’t realise that. And I’ve still got various portions of my anatomy crossed that Sky may see sense over getting B&M onto the small screen. They deserve to be seen.

4. Wayne says:

As ever you are a most modest author. I would think you would get an automatic renewal. I have enjoyed the B&M series enormously and hope you find that there are ten more books at least to quench our thirst.

When will PS have the graphic novel?–Comic? Ready to buy? As for the Musical I can just see B&M dancing across the stage singing away…….

5. Alan Morgan says:

The casebook’s going to be great, you and Keith compliment each other just right.

6. Dan Terrell says:

More on The Bryant & May Casebook, please. It’s a separate publication, right? When will it be out? It sounds as if you must have had this in mind when I suggested something “similar” in earlier posts regarding the then unplaced graphic novel; and urged a short story collection. You are a quiet one, Admin. May Bryant & May never set. Sail on.

7. Peter says:

Hi Christopher,

looking forward to both the new Bryant & May novel as well as the graphic novel! I do hope that your contract will be renewed! I have noticed that some of your earlier books are translated in dutch. In my view, the Bryant & May novels deserve to have a dutch version as well!
    I think this particular type of crime stories should do well in the Netherlands, as many people overhere are fond of British crime tv series and crime novels. There is a growing number of British crime authors whose work gets translated in dutch!

Best wishes,
    Peter

8. Vickie says:

Peter A: Of COURSE she’s planking; why else would Bryant & May be gazing down at her in such puzzlement?

9. Mary Clarke says:

Great news. And you.have to get a new contract.

Mary

10. Gretta says:

There should always be room in the world for some more B&M, and if your publishers know what’s good for them, they will renew. I do hope one of the in-jokes refers to ‘the baffling female nail’ that is Meera*.

Re planking – not so sure. Bent knee, hand under forehead…more like a variation on the recovery position.

* Original admin blog post re this, for those that might have missed it first time around: http://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog/2011/05/28/piracy-of-the-page/

This appears to be a chapel and the pattern on the floor is some form of maze. Is the young lady searching for the key to the invisible code? Does Da Vinci come into it?

12. Dan Terrell says:

“Frankly, Arthur, I’m in awe of the young woman’s ability to spot such a tiny black ant on such a black title.” “And I’m equally in awe, John, of the graceful way she got down there.”

13. Tristan says:

Christopher,
    Will it be coming to the US at the same time?
    I discovered your books back in November somehow (I think it might have been a suggestion by Amazon from when I purchased the Flavia de Luce series) and finished all of them in a matter of a month and a half! Anyways I have beyond fallen in love with the series and definitely consider your books some of my favorite books (so much so that I named the cat I recently adopted Crippen). The wait for A Memory of Blood is killing me, so I am hoping that the next delay isn’t too long!

14. Kevin Irving says:

I can’t believe that Red Gloves is £49.99. Is it printed on gold leaf?

15. Sven Cooke says:

I’ve just had the pleasure of listening to the last two ‘Mr Fox’ Bryant and May audiobooks. They were wonderful as usual. If you get the chance please pass on my best wishes to Tim Goodman who reads the books and really brings the characters to life.

My favourite moments from earlier books is Tim talking as Arthur saying “What I don’t understand is…..”
    He seems to have lost that catch phrase.

I’m happy not to see a TV version. It would be too rushed and neither actor seems physically suitable for the image I have in my mind especially Arthur. The TV versions of the Ian Rankin’s “Rebus” never matched the quality of the original writing and I’m sure would not compliment Christopher’s novel, but I do understand they can be a ‘nice little earner’! Bless you for your novels.

Thanks Sven – I had no idea there was a catchphrase!!!!

A couple more answers – the US pub dates of Bryant & May are currently running six months behind the UK’s.

And the expensive ‘Red Gloves’ edition was a boxed, numbered and signed collectors’ item (it says here) – there’s a cheaper version.

18. Kevin Irving says:

Yes, ‘Red Gloves’ £19.99 in hardback. That’s more like it.