Why Men Care Less About Fashion

Film, London, Media

Givenchy were rightly fearful of menswear from Paris Fashion Week being ridiculed. This outfit wasn’t even the silliest on the catwalk, but it did have the most hilariously understated caption, which read:
‘It’s difficult to imagine Givenchy’s latest looks making the transition to the high street.’
Although if you’re intent on looking like a cross-dressing Albanian clog-dancer, it’s definitely the look for you.

After years of following fashion trends it looks to me as if London males are creating their own separate looks area by area. A walk between boroughs is enough to show you how local chaps are combining clothes and hairstyles, or – as in the case of the area around Brick Lane – buying from local independent clothes stores. Weird clothes seem to be less in evidence in the US, but in Finland they’re a common way of expressing creativity – and why not?

The design house styles no longer have anything to do with major city clothes. Broad themes filter through in the media world, though. Recently I was in the Phoenix Artists Club and saw what I thought was a row of little old men in cardigans, tweeds and flat caps, but they turned out to be twentysomethings in Fashionable Clothes. Don’t think of doing this if you’re above a 32 waist, though, as I swear European sizes are getting smaller. I’m happy to live in jeans and a T-shirt until I die, and let my personality make up for my deficiencies in fashion!

8 comments on “Why Men Care Less About Fashion”

1. Cid says:

Amen to that last sentence mate.

2. FabienneT says:

Don’t know, though: as I said after you’d signed my copy of Hell Train last Thursday at Foyles, you had pretty cool shoes on! The all important detail… In my former “career” as a (alternative) music journalist, I’ve seen quite a few people with amazing clothes and style and zero (and I mean, zero!) personality (or talent). Style over substance…
    I still like it when people express themselves through their clothes/appearance, but that doesn’t mean following fashion like a sheep.
    England is great for that: so many different styles!

3. Vickie says:

I’ve never had any fashion sense and have worn the same comfortable style of clothing for decades. One of my sisters, who frets about appearances, has informed me that I have inadvertently been periodically back “in style,” apparently during the tie-dye years, as well as the Seattle grunge years. I’m not losing any sleep over it…although in recent years I have found Doc Martens just a bit too heavy to clomp around in. Sad sigh.

Like FabienneT, “I…[too] like it when people express themselves through their clothes/appearances, but that doesn’t mean following fashion like a sheep.”

4. Gretta says:

I hope Givenchy paid that poor lad extra for having to wear that get-up. Lordy. As for the two lasses: Lady Gaga wannabe and teenage Japanese girl wannabe, from what I can see. There’s hardly anything creative in trying to be someone else.

I’m sitting here in my trackies and t-shirt as I harumph this, obviously. If I had a walking stick I’d be waving it, complaining about dagnabbed whippersnappers, and telling people to get a haircut.

And don’t get me started about men/boys wearing purple stovepipe corduroys…

The young lady on the right has a little bag that is almost identical to one I bought containing 50 bags of eco-friendly green tea with ginger. I had thought to use it next summer but perhaps I ought to think again.

6. FabienneT says:

Actually, Gretta, Lady Gaga has NICKED the looks of various subcultures that existed YEARS before she was anything. She’s stolen the look(s) of so many scenes it makes me laugh when people think she’s just sooo creative (and she probably has 5 stylists so can’t think of it herself).

Cyberpunk, rave, gothic, industrial, electro/rivet heads: you name it, they were all around from the early 90s.

So Lady Gaga IS the wannabe! 🙂

7. Gretta says:

Good point, Fabienne. I’ve never understood the fuss over Lady Gaga. Her music sounds like everything else around at the moment, and her so-called ‘outrageous’ look always reminds me of Sigue Sigue Sputnik. *shudder*

Go to the web (!) site of the V&A museum, use a search box on the site for their channel and watch the video of the making of the golden orb spider cape. The spider thread is gold colour naturally and they wove the thread and then self embroidered it in satin stitch. It is the most incredible thing I have ever (why do we use these over the top descripters?) seen and the best thing is that NOT ONE SPIDER DIED! It’s to be on display at the V&A for 6 months. Wow! wow!