London Skies Get Weirder

London

First we had this at dawn the other day in Trafalgar Square (it turned out to be advertising something), and now we’ve got the Aurora Borealis visiting for a few days, although I sat out on my terrace last night and failed to spot it. Presumably when it does appear it will be accompanied by a copyright logo saying it was brought to us by 02.

6 comments on “London Skies Get Weirder”

1. Vickie says:

LOL re “copyright logo” accompaniment. Waiting patiently and hopefully for an update re a sighting.

The problem is that with so much ambient light you may not realise what you’re seeing. In the geophysical year back in the sixties even at our latitude (just above 49 North)we saw pink aurora like a sheer waving gauze and I’ve seen it in Prince George as green gauze drifts. The green is most common and harder to notice.
    Gretta, is there a form of southern aurora?

3. Gretta says:

Aurora Australis, yes. The bloke on the radio last night said there was a chance for us to see the goings on down here, but, as per, the skies were completely overcast. Ditto again tonight. I remember seeing an aurora when I was little, maybe 5 or 6, and being utterly spellbound. We had a spectacular one a few years back. I got up at 2am for a shufti, cloudy sky and nowt to see, so went back to bed. It all kicked off properly at around 3am. *sigh*

4. Alan G says:

Gretta – I fully sympathise.

When we had a full solar eclipse at mid-day (UK) we were all very excited. I was working the night before and it had been a longer than usual shift of 14 hours but nevertheless I was not going to miss this. Went to the riverside park, lovely sunny day – perfect. zzzzzz

And don’t get me started on the morons who “lost” three rolls of film of the Helle-Bopp comet.

5. Dan Terrell says:

Also saw an amazing aurora when I was 5 or 6. It was visible above Washington, D.C.(!), was multi-colored, danced and lasted a long time. Somewhere there are boxes-up photos of it, but in black and white. It was like looking up at a huge piece of the curvy ribbon candy that’s sold at Christmas, only rainbow colored. My mother swore it made a soft hissing noise. In my teens I read several of A.A. Merritt’s S.F./fantasy novels (The Moon Pool, The Metal Monster & The Ship of Isthar, I think) and could clearly “see” what he was describing.

And it’s a good thing my mother isn’t around to comment on the most recent ‘appearance’ of Halley’s comet. She was born in 1912 so she missed it by two years, but her mother told her about it being visible in daylight and spectacular at night so she was quite excited for its appearance a few years ago. Why don’t astronomers mention that even when a comet’s track brings it within sight of earth it could still be so far away that you can hardly see it at all. A sloppy snowball was the best description I can make of it.