New Year, New Books

Reading & Writing

I’ll be appearing at Foyle’s bookshop in Charing Cross Road on Thursday 19th January at 6:30pm – 7:30pm, where I’ll be in conversation with Jonathan Oliver about ‘Hell Train’, then signing copies. Reserve your free tickets now as the Foyle’s events are always well-attended (this is more about the efficiency of the bookstore than my popularity).
On Friday 20th I’ll be signing stock at Forbidden Planet.

2012 may also end up being another bumper ‘Three Book’ year, as ‘Bryant & May and the Invisible Code’ is due out on August 1st (must remember to finish it first), and there could also be ‘Invisible Ink: The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Authors’, a non-fiction book about writers and their readers, and ‘Film Freak’ my sequel to ‘Paperboy’, which has now been delivered and is awaiting an acquisitions meeting.

10 comments on “New Year, New Books”

1. J. Folgard says:

As ever, we can’t possibly know what the new year has in store -but this is part of the things I look forward to!

2. stephen groves says:

Hi Chris,

Time for me to have a chat with my bank manager I think.
    Don’t mention numerous special edition’s of Red Gloves, had to sell parts for medical experiments for that one.Not mine of course, Mrs Stalky’s.So she limps a bit now.

all best
    STALKY

3. Anne says:

Hell Train has been downloaded onto my Kindle and is next on my ‘to read’ list.

4. Gretta says:

And in April, a copy of Memory of Blood should finally be gracing my letterbox with its presence. Sounds like a great CF year all round!

Dear Stephen – please apologise to Mrs Stalky for me. I’d better buy her a present. A slipper, perhaps, or one roller skate.

6. paul hasbrouck says:

Chris-i am waiting for my copy of Hell Train and in the future both Film Freak & Invisible Ink will be on my list.

7. Marc says:

Sigh… how times have changed. Foyles being described as ‘efficient’?!

8. J F Norris says:

I’ve read several of your “Invisible Ink” columns from the on-line archives of The Independent – mostly those about crime and supernatural fiction authors. Reading through those columns is how I learned of the existence of THE EXPLOITS OF ENGELBRECHT. Would be wonderful to have an entire book full of your articles about forgotten writers and their books.

9. Paul Barnes says:

Unfortunately I’m now unable to attend the Foyles event; I’d hoped to mention there how much I enjoy reading your tremendous “Invisible Ink” column.

I understand that a related book may be on the cards; I do hope that, that’s the case.

I’ve taken the liberty of listing a few suggested names for possible future inclusion below (apologies if any/all have already been covered).

All the best.

Paul

Charles Birkin (Charles Lloyd)
    John Blackburn
    Hans Fallada
    James Hadley Chase
    Patrick Hamilton
    L. P. Hartley
    Hans Helmut Kirst
    Arthur Morrison
    Oliver Onions
    Michael Underwood
    Dennis Wheatley

I have had a query from a friend about the Invisible Ink columns and am sending him to The Independent, but a collection might be a very good thing.