Another Reason To Find The French Annoying

Film, Observatory

My mother was such a bad cook that we always lost weight at Christmas – nobody could get through her overroasted meals. But with the new year here, I’ve been looking at the French Paradox, which is the fact that French people have low heart disease but a high fat diet. Apparently it comes down to a few key factors:

Good fats versus bad fats — French people get up to 80% of their fat intake from dairy and vegetable sources, including whole milk, cheeses, and whole yogurt.
Fish at least three times a week.
Smaller portions eaten more slowly and divided into courses that let you start digesting food before more is added.
Lower sugar intake — American low-fat and no-fat foods are often full of sugar. French diets avoid these products preferring full-fat versions without added sugar.
Few snacks between meals.
Avoidance of junk food, cola, deep-fried foods, snack foods, and the prepared meals found in supermarkets.

Fact: Americans lose weight when they visit France.

Meanwhile, junk food companies have turned to desperate advertising strategies to make sure their muffin-topped, manboobed customers stuff themselves until they have strokes and coronaries.

10 comments on “Another Reason To Find The French Annoying”

1. BangBang says:

I think I read recently that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find good food in France from baguettes to full meals. France is now MacDonalds second biggest market outside the US.

I think one has to take that with a pinch of salt (as it were). Recent trips to Paris and the South have shown me that the traiteur and the boulangerie are still very much in evidence in even the smallest towns, although in the French village where I used to live, the bakery closed down as Russians bought up all the property around.

3. BangBang says:

I’ve only been to France once and that was nearly 30 years ago so I bow to your far superior experiences. Having just googled it I can now see that the death of French cuisine has been predicted on a regular basis for a number of years!

The predictions are the result of cuisine envy. You can get the same effect in England by following the rules Chris listed above, I imagine.

5. Steve says:

Cooking 101: fat=flavor. I doesn’t have to be “bad” fat; I use for example way more extra virgin olive oil than I do butter. A low-carb diet makes more sense and is much more satisfying than a low-fat diet. At any rate, it’s causing ME to lose weight.

6. Steve says:

Oh – and one doesn’t need a reason to find the French annoying. The fact that they’re French is quite sufficient.

7. I sort of have lived in France all my life, being French and such, so I have a pretty good spot to see what’s going on. I’m afraid McDonald and its ilk are doing quite well here. My fine baker who did such lovely croissants closed down shop two or three years ago, and the center of Bordeaux is clogged with frozen dough reheating outlets. You can find easily lots of fine restaurants or gourmet shops, but ordinary people don’t go to the restaurant every day. Fast food is doing fine and the current Crisis isn’t helping, what with the price of vegetables and meat rising all the time. The American way of life is making inroads into everything.

8. FabienneT says:

I actually find BEING French annoying (although the only French thing about me is the language and the bit of paper called an ID card).
    And honestly, there is nothing like the French Paradox; It’s a myth (although the ghastly Agnes Poirier would probably choke on her Kensington-bought baguette if she heard me; she then would write a bitter, arrogant piece for The Guardian about it)

Eat healthily, exercise, have discipline and willpower: that’s the secret. Nationality has nothing to do with it! 🙂

Right on, Fabienne!

10. Steve says:

The same could actually be said about we Americans. Brash, loud, rude, obnoxious. We can’t help it; we’re raised that way. Really.