The Train Arrives on January 5th!

Reading & Writing

Okay, we have a date and we’re up on Amazon (and will be in all good bookshops) so here’s the official blurb on ‘Hell Train’, my chiller-thriller epic from Solaris Books…

‘Imagine there was a supernatural chiller that Hammer Films never made. A grand epic produced at the studio’s peak, which played like a cross between the Dracula and Frankenstein films and Dr Terror’s House Of Horrors… Four passengers meet on a train journeying through Eastern Europe during the First World War, and face a mystery that must be solved if they are to survive. As the Arkangel races through the war-torn countryside, they must find out: What is in the casket that everyone is so afraid of? What is the tragic secret of the veiled Red Countess who travels with them? Why is their fellow passenger the army brigadier so feared by his own men? And what exactly is the devilish secret of the Arkangel itself? Bizarre creatures, satanic rites, terrified passengers and the romance of travelling by train, all in a classically styled horror novel.’

I’ve already had quite a few enquiries about the film rights, too, although given my track record with movies I wouldn’t get too excited about that, unless I decide to stick a talking panda in it. ‘Which,’ he said, ‘I am fully prepared to do.’

All aboard!

12 comments on “The Train Arrives on January 5th!”

1. Martin Gore says:

I am almost unnaturally excited for this book, Admin. As much as I adore B&M, I’m really looking forward to reading a stand-alone novel; especially one that harks back to your “horror” roots (please excuse the “” marks). If I wasn’t such a macho, fully grown 40 year old man I may have typed “Squeeee” here, but I won’t. Right I’m off to Amazon to pre-order it.

2. Vickie Farrar says:

I just checked amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. Interestingly, ‘Hell Train’ is available from the US site about 10 days prior to the UK release.

But…beware: This past month — for the first time — I was charged a “foreign transaction fee” by my credit card for purchasing items from the UK amazon site (I live in the US); only 88 cents, but still annoying. I don’t think of y’all over the pond as “foreign…”

Vickie, everyone is foreign to the U.S. government. Pretty soon we, in the country to your north, will have to pay a US$5 fee to land in your country, unless we walk or drive in. Perhaps there is a connection with this foreign transaction fee of yours.

That’s not so bad, Helen. In Wales, they charge you to get out! (seriously).

5. J. Folgard says:

Great news! I’ve already read one or two books from that imprint and I’m happy to see you join their roster. Pre-ordering it too (so I won’t have to wait) -and by the way, the cover looks great in all its schlocky glory. Cheers!

6. BangBang!! says:

Fantastic news and out just after Christmas for people to spend their book tokens on!

7. mel says:

Oooh this looks fantastic! btw have greatly enjoyed Red Gloves while home sick.

I’m sure Mr Graham Humphries will be thrilled when I tell him you find his cover ‘schlocky’!

9. J. Folgard says:

Oh, I mean it as a compliment -as I’m sure he’ll take it. His poster for the recent Frightfest festival is still adorning my computer as a wallpaper… I’ll get me coat!

10. J. Folgard says:

More seriously, though -I love the fact that there’s an actual well-crafted illustration here, as opposed to so many other horror books I buy (and enjoy nevertheless) where the cover features some stock photo of a spooky silhouette/a decrepit house/an overgrown woodland, hastily photoshoped with filters à la ‘Seven’ opening credits…

11. Peter Lee says:

Will be ordering this, but in the interim I’m still waiting for “Red Gloves” to arrive. Any word on the signed editions yet?

12. Alan Morgan says:

Right up my alley, mystery way out in the ‘back of beyond’.