The Readers Have Spoken

Bryant and May

Regular readers of this site will know that I try to maintain a level of interactivity about my books, and it appears from your comments that you favour stand-alone stories with an overall development arc that moves the lives of those in the Peculiar Crimes Unit ever-onwards.

Thank God for that, because it’s where I’m headed. The tenth Bryant & May novel has a plot that operates both as a single case, but completes an arc that has been continuing for the last four books, taking it to a new point in the story. I map out the major events a long way in advance and develop the individual stories in an appropriately peculiar fashion, but I was missing one big piece of the jigsaw. For some unearthly reason the answer hit me as I was walking through Soho in the pouring rain. This one is going to be a killer!

Today’s picture, thank you for asking, comes from master Keith Page, Upper 4B/ The artist of ‘The Casebook of Bryant & May: The Soho Devil’ has caught a moment from the very first novel which I wish I’d thought of, with Bryant & May confronting the ghosts of their former selves. Or possibly the other way around.

7 comments on “The Readers Have Spoken”

1. Wayne says:

When you say this ones going to be a killer i hope you don’t mean that literally….

Best of luck with Number ten and yes the art work is another stunner.

2. Peter says:

Wonderful art work! I love it! Wishing you lots of luck with creating number ten in the series!

3. Martin Gore says:

That is a magnificent piece if art work. I love the young Arthur there. Keith has done a marvellous job of realising the characters, in my opinion. Who are these publishers you mentioned in another post who won’t pick it up, eh? I’ll send my mum round to give them a damn good talking to, if you want?

4. Virginia Hicks says:

keep my heroes alive Christopher! i found you via a charity shop (book 2 The Water Room) then i bought 1-6 and im reading through them all now, i love the young gents in Full Dark House, i know im behind but im catching up, please keep the octogenarians going back and forth through their lives, i love them both, maybe Arthur more, as much as i do Dave Robiecheax and Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg. i keep reading bits out to my daughter ‘a face like a witch doctors rattle’, and she shuts me up because she wants to read them herslf soon. Long live Arthur and John, his scarf and his savoir faire, and by the way, the touching bits always make me feel as you want the reader to….we English call it soppy!

5. Wayne says:

Welcome Virginia. Now its interesting what you say about Full Dark House. I too found the way it was written with the younger A&J a real treat. I have been asking for more stories to feature the younger A&J. I am glad its not just me who likes the younger chaps. Some early investigations would be a great read i am sure.

6. Alan Morgan says:

I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and part of that was dropping in on my aging Ma. There being more books in the old family hive than most libraries (and certainly any common bookshop) then I chuckled to see above the puddles of puppy piss and weak tea a number of B&Ms. I cannot escape it seems, and as I work my way through days of missed posts here it brightens a Sunday to see more of Keith’s work.

Yes, I’d like to hear more of the fellows when they started. There have been hints as to cases they worked on – IAM probably has a list somewhere – although I know hinting and creating a full blown story are two different things. Just finished Memory of Blood. I was saving it for a special read but realized I’d have to have it soon. I actually followed Arthur’s reasoning and was so sad when the woman died as I thought she might become a character later. I assume the next one picks up where this leaves off? Great story – I’m going back to start the series all over again.