Why FantasyCon In Brighton Works So Well

Media, Observatory

Brighton, once the vacation home of the Prince Regent, now more commonly referred to as ‘The Slag Riviera’, has seen better times. Forget its beachfront facade, ruined by greedy developers and dodgy council decisions. Ignore the mounds of trash on the beach that a handful of workmen were hopelessly attempting to clear up. Avoid the insulting chain hotels, trashy bars and chain shops. Even simple problems, like falling-apart seaside benches, are ignored in favour of building yet more junk-food outlets on the beach.

Brighton’s strength lies in its vibrant backstreets – in roads like Sydney Street, with its bookshops and craft stores, in the small independent cafes where service comes with a real smile, not the Manual of Staff Behaviour (UK branches). Brighton’s individuality is the part that works, and one can only hope the people of Brighton wrestle their once-fair city back from the forces of development Hell in which it currently languishes.

My mother and her family grew up there, and when my brother took her back to see the old town she spent the day crying, unable to believe her eyes. She wanted to know why the council had been ‘allowed to destroy everything that was beautiful here.’

FantasyCon has always been driven by the passionate people who love books in a world of shrinking literacy. It makes no sense that we do this year after year, yet here we all are again, and Brighton is an ideal setting. Its location on the South coast certainly didn’t keep Northerners away. This year the top quality panels, meetings, readings and events were well organised and hosted by MC Sarah Pinborough – but next year’s event is in the middle of nowhere in the Midlands. Why move something just when it’s working so well?

9 comments on “Why FantasyCon In Brighton Works So Well”

1. Tabitca Cope says:

I thought you might like to know I mentioned you in my kindle author interview .Love the Bryant and May books.

2. Alan Morgan says:

I went by all those. I had excellent tapas with some surgeons on the Friday. Good food and surgeons are always a fountain of funny stories. Not sure I need to hear the words ‘rectal knife’ said again, friendly kiwi accent or not, ever again.

3. Rhian Bowley says:

Yes, no offence to the Midlands but can we keep it in Brighton, please? I’m sure the screaming from the pier rides & hen parties made the horror writers feel at home, & staring at the sea is good for everyone’s imagination.

4. Donna says:

After your recent comments, I’m glad you were able to experience more than avoiding the hen parties in Brighton. I was sorry that your appearance at the Fantasycon was so brief and ever so embarrassed to have first seen you after my boyfriend was recounting what Steve Jones had to say about your absence from the signing (is Steve Jones always that scary?) I’m looking forward to reading Red Gloves and the Memory of Blood but after the book launches free wine induced headache has gone. I would recommend the Fantasycon (my first) to anyone with the  caveat that such endeavours will always attract niggles. I spent more than I intended but the books will keep me going for months. For the followers of Mr Fowler’s fashion he wore the sparkly jeans (and he used to be a male model).

What you have to know is that Mr Steve Jones is not truly happy unless he has someone to bitch about. It’s a sure sign that he’s happy.

6. Alan Morgan says:

Hit the name for mine, a little of it though – ‘The windows of the bar are cloudy where someone tried to wipe away a few pints of spunk, but not very well, and none of it human. The Albion is like Maplins, but without the class.’

7. I.A.M. says:

What’s that? Sun? In Brighton? Lies, I tell you!