Friday’s Media Report

Observatory

Breaking technology news: Sony are no longer to pay for the distribution of 3D glasses to US cinemas, which effectively puts a huge nail in the coffin of 3D for this particular cycle. Early reports on the 3D cinema’s great hope, Spielberg’s ‘Tintin’ is that it has ‘the dead, glassy horror of waxworks come to life’.

The Kindle Touch, which does away with all those buttons and finally looks like something you’d own, doesn’t have a UK release yet, although it’s out next week in the US. Rumour has it that Kindle hasn’t been able to assemble the content partners it needs for European release. Instead we’re being offered a crummier version. I guess we’ll have to hang on to our books for a while yet. Or, if you’re like me, just stick to books until all bugs are ironed out once and for all.

And the ‘War Of The Worlds’ game I wrote for Paramount is about to come out, so I’m doing interviews about what turned out to be the most enjoyable work of the last year. Meanwhile, back in the world of bits of paper, I’m heading for sunny (and I do mean ‘sunny’) Brighton for a day of signings and panels. Sadly I can’t stay for the big bashes tomorrow night, but I’ll be around London signing in most major stores over the next few days. Super Thursday (the biggest release day of the book year) was also my launch date.

And what, you might ask, of my own new books? Ah, well, I have the first copies of ‘The Memory of Blood’ in my hot and stickies, no ‘Red Gloves’ yet but I’m hoping to find them in Brighton, and ‘Hell Train’ should be getting finished copies soon. After that, there will be a short break while I go a-wandering, to return and start the final Bryant & May, and two new thrillers. Over and out!

17 comments on “Friday’s Media Report”

1. Philip says:

The final Bryant and May?!!!? You just drove a stake through my heart…

2. Gretta says:

Excuse me, admin, but I could have sworn I just read the words ‘final Bryant & May’. Final? As in no more? Ever? Say it ain’t so. 🙁

3. wayne says:

Er Yes ‘Final B&M’ What? I hope you mean Final present day B&M i hope you can produce a good few more B&M books… maybe with our hero’s in their early years. Battling vampires and the like.

Long live B&M…. And what about the TV series????

Oh and i like the look of the kindle fire… rival for the iPad?

4. madmary says:

No!!! Not the final B & M. That can’t be right. There’s life in those old dogs yet.

Mary

5. J. Folgard says:

Oh, maybe you can pull a Conan Doyle and bring them back yet again after this final mystery? Please..?

6. Chris Lancaster says:

Let’s hope the “final Bryant & May” goes the same way as the previous “final Bryant & May” – ie two more followed. Still, am greatly looking forward to Red Books (copy ordered months ago) and Hell Train. Can you tell us any more about the two new thrillers?

7. Vickie Farrar says:

Ah, jeez, do you feel like Arthur Conan Doyle? Hounded for years and years by angry and desolute fans over the disappearance of SH? Made for a bit of crabbiness and some loss of enjoyment in his work, I must say.

Although I love B&M and all their peculiarities, I am not solely locked into your producing their adventures. I just finished Calabash (yeah, yeah, I’m a little slow) and was surprised and delighted with the intelligence and reasoning behind the story. And your first memoir was an absolute gem.

So: Carry on … I will be pleased to give whatever you offer a pair of eyeballs.

8. Nikki-ann says:

The final B&M? I know they’re aging, but it’s hard to imagine life without the two old biddies!

9. wayne says:

Yeah i have to agree with you Vickie, Its not all about B&M its just they are so well loved i can’t imagine life with out them. I loved Calabash and paperboy i look forward to the next Memoir.

Yes Christopher please carry on with all those exciting books wherever and whatever the setting and bases….. Your originality is one of your strong points along with your ability to create a great story…

10. Philip Jackson says:

While I can accept Vickie and Wayne’s argument to a certain extent, I would ask them if an alternative reaction of complete ambivalence at the conclusion to a series of novels would be more rewarding for an author. I’m not an author, but I can only imagine that to have created characters who have sparked such enthusiasm in your readership has to some be kind of compensation for the above responses.

I’m sure Conan Doyle was frustrated with the ties that bound him to Sherlock Holmes, just as Agatha Christie was to Hercule Poirot. But let’s face it, Holmes is one of the most iconic figures in all of literature, and it is Holmes who has largely secured Conan Doyle’s place in history, not his dubious medieval romances. It’s not a bad legacy is it?

If Bryant and May are truly coming to the end of their journey, so be it, but don’t knock people for being a little sad at the news. If we can’t be passionate about what we’re reading, why do we read at all?

11. Wayne says:

Very well articulated Philip… Thank you. 🙂

I’m very touched by the reaction to what was a somewhat impetuous use of the word ‘final’. The next book is certainly the final one in terms of my contract with my publishers, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that this will be the last. I’m not at all tired of the characters, and would happily continue…

13. Gretta says:

Yay! Seriously. Big smile and a huge sigh of relief happening here, admin.

If this means things aren’t going so well on the publishing side of things, however, I will keep my fingers crossed re new contract/publisher/whatever.

14. Rick D says:

Good to know Bryant and May won’t be vacationing at Reichenbach Falls any time soon!

And at the sci fi/fantasy convention here I asked Larry Niven and the other members of his panel about British vs N. American art. Their feeling was that British covers tended to be higher class and the American publishers would probably feel that B&M are humorous mysteries & therefor require light hearted covers. I think they look frivolous & trivial and will have nothing to do with them. Mr. Niven described two recent editions of Moby Dick: the American cover showed the harpooning, all wild thrashing about and all, very dramatic, while the British edition was a beautiful painting of the sea. Most of us know what Moby Dick is about and don’t have to have it shoved in our faces.

16. Vickie Farrar says:

I’m not going to waste energy being offended by a book’s cover art…it’s what’s inside that counts! And, as an aside, I already received by copy of “The Memory of Blood” from the U.K. (I live in Southern Nevada, USA) Yay postal services!

Not yet, but the order status doesn’t promise it until the middle of October.