The Teen Who Brought A Party To Its Feet

Observatory

A teenager has surprised delegates at the Labour Party Conference, receiving a standing ovation after hitting out at the Government’s spending cuts. Rory Weal made an impassioned speech, tearing into welfare cuts and the abolition of the education maintenance allowance.

Party leader Ed Miliband jumped to his feet when the 16-year-old had finished speaking to shake his hand and delegates flocked round him afterwards to offer their congratulations.

‘Two-and-a-half years ago, the home I had lived in since birth was repossessed… I owe my entire well-being and that of my family to the welfare state. That is why I joined the Labour Party,’ Rory said. ‘That very same welfare state is being ruthlessly ripped apart by a vicious, right-wing government.’

Whatever your politics, you must admit it’s good to find impassioned rhetoric in the gift of the young again.

7 comments on “The Teen Who Brought A Party To Its Feet”

A young person who does not have to space out his thinking with y’know and like. One who *does* think and is observant of the life around him. It is not usual in a teenage mind, which is more concerned with creating itself, but is very instructive to watch, because familiar words &/or ideas coming from an unusual mouth makes us pay more attention.

2. Martin W says:

Bah. Feels a bit like a sly move by the leadership to associate themselves with old party values – “see, we ARE still that kind of party” – without any of the grown-ups having to officially say anything so risky. “Welfare state” indeed!

3. Sparro says:

He reminds me of ‘the young’ William Hague…he did a similar passionate speech (in the style of Winston Churchill) on behalf of the other lot, many years ago, when he was but a youth. I believe Mrs thatcher similarly jumped to her feet and started the standing ovation.
    I wish Rory Weal well, but I cannot help thinking his is merely a mascot.

4. Sparro says:

I wish Rory Weal well, but I cannot help thinking he is merely a mascot.

5. Marc says:

Anyone else hear his interview on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday (Tuesday, 27 September)? Twice Vine asked him what had caused the family home to be repossessed, and twice Weal dodged the question in a very MP like style. So he has the makings of a politican, but I suspect there are some skeletons in the closet that will not fit that well with the image of himself that he wishes to portray.

It’s so difficult to become a hero these days, what with interviewers insisting on answers to questions and researchers poking around in the back story, to say nothing of passersby with their cell phone cameras.

7. BangBang!! says:

Whatever the reason for the house being repossessed, it obviously wasn’t his fault.

As someone who was politically active in my youth I like to see young people standing up for themselves. Even Hague, who, let’s face it, was excrutiatingly embarrassing!

We need some more young people rallying for what they believe in. And by that, I mean for what I believe in!! Lol.

Posted In