All Things Bryant & Peculiar

Reading & Writing

Don’t forget I’ll be at the British Fantasy Society Convention in Brighton this Friday and Saturday morning, where I’ll be attempting to make up for the destruction and vulgarity wrought on this once-beautiful seaside town by its corrupt, venal councillors, through the beauty of literature…

Here’s how the West Pier has looked before and after its suspicious-fire makeover.

Expect the formerly elegant Edwardian seaside resort they now call ‘The Riviera for Slags’ to be abuzz with mad horror/fantasy types, as if anyone will notice.

6 comments on “All Things Bryant & Peculiar”

1. Alan Morgan says:

I’ll be there though staying at the late Peter O’Donnel’s place, blogging at his desk for that genuine Modesty Blaise vibe.

Pint anyone?

2. Ford says:

I have always thought, that if the IRA had blown up the West Peir, instead of The Grand; “Mad Maggie” would have had that re-built in no time at all!

3. M.E. Hydra says:

Needs skulls on top of those posts. Would look lovely then. Maybe a donation from those councillors…

4. Stephen Beat says:

I’ve mentioned before that I live in Scarborough (Britain’s ‘first seaside resort’) and so this subject is close to my heart – it’s a conversation that crops up daily among people who live hear.

What is the future of the seaside holiday? And what do we do with the old trappings of the town. Our fine old opera house met the same fate as Brighton Pier – a mysetrious fire (which solved a sticky planning permission issue and resulted in the most vile and vulgar casino being built).

There just doesn’t seem to be a vision for our seasid eresorts any more – this despite the fact that the resession, supposedly, implies that more lower invcome families would appreciate holidays in Britain.

….Sorry – rant….

Stephen, we need rants like this, the more public the better. How else to shock the average person into actually looking at their surroundings and deciding what they feel about it? And maybe doing something about it.

6. John H says:

I photographed the ruined pier myself on a visit a few years ago. Spooky – almost worthy of an incident in a Christopher Fowler novel… http://www.flickr.com/photos/saltwell/2650596300/