US or UK Memory?

Bryant and May

For any collectors out there, you’re going to kill me.

I’ve just noticed that there are two slightly different versions of the next Bryant & May book, ‘Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood’. This is because the UK and US lead-times were different, and the edits came in separately, so I edited them from scratch twice, leading to some small narrative changes – nothing major, and it’s true that the editions are usually a little different because of americanisms, but more so this time. Sorry!

17 comments on “US or UK Memory?”

1. Martin W says:

Christopher you’re probably going to kill me, but…

Author of TheBryant and May off the Rails

?

2. Martin W says:

Christopher you’re probably going to kill me, but…

Author of TheBryant and May off the Rails“?

It was an early proof. I’m more worried about the purple!!!

4. Simon says:

The cover does a disservice to your excellent novels.

5. Ever find any errors in your promo pages? Those are the absolute worst for them, as almost every editor skips it over. The thought process is usually ‘oh, we’ve used this text before for the last book, another editor has looked it over.’

6. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    Unfortunately this news will not make any differance to my collection,as the fever has been upon me again and I will be on this like a hungry lion on a limping gazelle,or Kate Price on a nineteen year old teen star. I already collect both UK and US editions of your books.You could class this as doing your bit for ” Care in the Community” for such addicted souls as I.

All Best
    STALKY

7. Wayne says:

same story different edit… So? I find it very interesting you edit differently and use different words in the U.S. editions, now i wouldn’t have thought about it…. but i can see a trip to the U.S. Amazon store to order the other versions…. Or Maybe not, the U.K. Covers are nicer.

Do you mean that the American editions have “trucks” instead of ‘lorries’ and ‘elevators’ instead of ‘lifts’? What is the point of reading a book by an English author if you don’t get an English vocabulary? Mind you, for years I thought there were special garments in England called ‘frocks’ until I learned that they’re just ‘dresses’ but I still haven’t figured out ‘court shoes’. The Australian children’s writer Mem Fox sometimes puts a little vocabulary box at the end of her non-Australian editions and perhaps you could do the same, rather than translating into American as if that’s the way it was originally written. Expose us to English English, we’ll survive. In the meanwhile I have another reason for buying British.

And the British covers *are* better.
    My server is trying to convince me that you are using a strange form of compression, Chris, and hesitates to connect me this morning. Do you feel compressed?

10. Gretta says:

Generally speaking, UK covers always seem to be better than US ones*. Do US publishers not care what their books look like? Do the artists read the book beforehand, or do the publishers just send them a list of keywords and tell them to go for it? Do authors have any say on what their book looks like?

I love David Frankland’s B&M covers. They tell you exactly where the book is going to take you, yet still work brilliantly as pieces of art in themselves. It’s the same with Paul Kidby/Terry Pratchett or Mark Thomas/Jasper Fforde.

Speaking of, Mr Fforde managed to find a work-around for ‘not quite right’ book covers…

🙂

*To be fair, I did like Chris Gibbs/Jamie Warren Youll’s B&M covers.

11. Gretta says:

As for the different US/UK edits, surely if they’re smart enough to read your books, they’re smart enough to be able to Google. Even as an English English(all right, New Zealand English) speaker, I’ve had to Google the likes of ‘entresol’, ‘rufescent’ and ‘cicatrized’ because of your books. It didn’t kill me. Although it did necessitate having a pen and paper at the ready while reading. 🙂

12. Alan says:

Writing is terribly difficult – at least when writing for public consumption.

I have just (hopefully) finished an article on a gardening project. Should have been simple enough – dug there, sowed there, weeded that. But…

Politicians turn up – and they almost always get shocked. “put the camera down and rake up those leaves”

13. dino says:

As a Brit living in the US, I notice all of the Americanisms, and they do jump out a bit until I switch off that part of my brain!

14. I.A.M. says:

Well… time to contact my Order Completion Man in South Wales and have him add this to a packet of other titles headed across the waters…

Just checked my Pratchett – not only do the covers tell you where you’re going but they give you a detailed description of the way there

16. Jerry Boyajian says:

Call me unobservant. I never noticed that the B&M books had “Americanisms” in them.

As for the new book, it’s not a problem. So far, I’ve only been picking up the American editions, but for Memory of Blood, I’m ordering the British edition from Amazon UK, as I don’t want to wait another six months. I’ll probably pick up the American edition as well, when it comes out.