Would A Touch-Screen Kindle Make Me Switch?

Reading & Writing

Frankly, yes. The Sony pocket eReader is a thing of beauty and a wonder, by far the easiest, most stylish and lightest eReader on the market, but to use it I have to download ePub copies from the appalling Waterstone’s website, which feels like it was designed by someone who was kicked out of IT classes.

Worse still – I’d say that about a quarter of the books available at the Kindle store are not available to Sony users because of DRM. If Kindle could fire their design team and get someone from Apple, they’d have the deal sewn up. So, touch-screen, long battery life, fully available back-catalogue, sorted.

However, having recently researched some SF Bs – Bester, Ballard, Bradbury – and found nothing at all available, I think it’s going to be quite a time yet…

6 comments on “Would A Touch-Screen Kindle Make Me Switch?”

1. Alan says:

Mmm -= the iBook is over there somewhere – the pencil marks on the wall are for the bookshelves to be put up tomorrow. eBooks are just not tactile and they don’t smell as nice.

I saw someone walking down Dunsmuir St. the other day and reading his – whatever it was, don’t know them apart. Because he could see over the top more easily than over a book (only one page width) he was able to see the man sitting on the curb and dropped something in his hat.

3. Gretta says:

I had a chance recently to have a lil play on an iPad 2, including it’s book-reading facility, and all I can say is ‘Meh’. Sorry Chris, and all other fans of eBooks. The ability to change font size and everything was nice enough, and certainly a lot easier on the wrists than War and Peace, say. I fully admit to being a techno-Luddite(and a tightwad), but while this type of malarkey may be reading, it’s just not a book. Can I see myself snuggling down in bed with one of these? Nope. Would seeing one of these lying about make me want to read it? Nope. And the thought that I would need a power source of any kind, other than my own dexterity, to read…well, it makes my teeth grind.

Speaking of ‘proper’ books, the shiny new paperback version of Off The Rails arrived on Thursday, despite Amazon UK saying it wouldn’t be here until the 18th. 100 pages down already, and loving it!

4. Alan says:

Indeed Gretta – turning on the bedside lamp and snuggling with a book – almost as good as, almost as good as – well – it’s nice.

Yes, but turning on the bedside lamp disturbs other occupants. Would an i-pad, say, be less disruptive?

6. Alan says:

This is the beauty of divorce!