Leaving London

Observatory

This is the view from the coffee shop I blog from, the excellent Gran Sasso on Cally Rd. The bottom one is where I’m going. Yes, it’s goodbye to King’s Cross for one week and hello to the Aegean, where Europe’s favourite bankrupt holiday playground is just about to enter high season, signified by hotels doubling their prices and charging for sunbeds.

The great thing about the Greek islands is that they’re cheaper and easier to reach from London than Cornwall, where the hotels charge for Sunday night even though you’re only staying on Saturday.

I’m voting with my tourist pounds, so greedy England’s loss is Mykonos’s gain. I’m flying the world’s favourite airline, Easyjet, and taking hand luggage only, comprising a loaded eReader, a laptop, an iPod, my mobile, four review books for the Financial Times, a pair of flip-flops, two pairs of shorts and four T-shirts.

I’ll probably blog, but it’ll be about, oh salad and suncream, or the fact that it hasn’t stopped raining since I arrived (see entries passim). That’s what happens in nice hot places. Nothing. There’s nothing to write about. Why do you think there are so many good crime novels from the Nordic countries? Everyone’s indoors. Sout, they’re all out having fun. Simple.

9 comments on “Leaving London”

1. M@ says:

Ah, glad to hear Gran Sasso is still going strong. I spent a lot of time in there when I worked round the corner. Very friendly. Hope you have a fun trip.

2. Martha says:

The Greek government has mandated reductions in ferry fares and some other services. I’ll be very interested in your perceptions of how things are going. Greece is my second home. I lived 7 years on Crete before moving to London.

3. Martha says:

I was trying to figure out where the Gran Sasso was and happened on a photo. That location used to be a pub called The Malt and Hops with an extensive selection of real ales – was even in the Camra guide. I know this because I worked there in the middle 80’s. WOW!!!

That’s interesting. There was a pub opposite called the Hoop & Grapes – now a shonky bar called Ruby Lounge.

5. matt says:

Not packing any underwear? How very odd LOL. Have a nice time and enjoy your break.

It’s the long May weekend here or The Victoria Day Weekend if you prefer the older term. We just spent Fri. night to Sun morning at an elegant hot springs resort a couple of hours drive away thanks to a prize we won. It rained. It’s May Weekend, what do you expect? We still got in a lovely nearly dry walk and found a cafe with a garlic tomato soup that is about the best I’ve had. Wind, blowing snow, sleet, hail, thick fog or any of these combined with cold will cut outside stuff but not plain old rain.Have a good week, Chris.

7. Marc says:

I presume you’ll be taking four different chargers as well? And a travel plug adaptor? 😉

Oh, if we’re talking Holiday Cabling, I’ve got chargers, a cable from my laptop to my phone to uplpad photos, another for my ereader to connect to the laptop, assorted cables for charging, battery charger for camera, electric toothbrush charger – and I forgot to pack socks.

Obviously chargers are essential these days. All my husband had with him was his cell phone which is mostly for work and we were getting away from all that but he had the charger with him. What happens when one is *really* getting away from it *all*?