Where In London?

London

….is this, and why? (Run the cursor over the picture for a clue)

8 comments on “Where In London?”

1. Rick says:

I think I have this one! I don’t recall the name of the place, but it’s in the East End near the White Chapel tube stop. I think it’s a decoration on one of a series of small 19th Century brick cottages; I believe they were intended to be retirement accommodations for sailors? Do I win something if I am correct? A trip to London!? I wish!

RD

2. tankard says:

Trinity [three] Almshouse, Mile End Road, Whitechapel

Once again my readers prove to be astute and on the ball!

Definitely follow Tankard’s link. The article is fascinating, but it seems that the complex is no longer sheltered housing and it’s worth reading one of the comments to the article wherein this complex is compared with another one where all supports and programs are being cut. If I were in London I would go and offer calligraphy classes. Isn’t there a musical someone who could offer to form a small seniors’ choir? or an art teacher to give water colour, oil or coloured pencil work? or window gardening? or wood carving? or tai chi? or local history, complete with walks? Gee whiz, a couple of hours a week to keep some seniors connected with the world, it’s not much. Am I giving off steam from my ears yet? (I can say that because I am offering calligraphy at a local centre.)

5. Alan Morgan says:

Well done chaps, too late to the party this time to jump in – top banana Rick and Tankard. I’d’ve been no use at all this one as my first thoughts regarding the picture were of one of the Guilds or Companies again.

6. Rick says:

Thanks, Tankard! Great to have more info about the place. I discovered it on my on while visiting London several years ago and took my brother to see it since that visit. Wonderful to know about its past — and present. And thanks, Chris for the inspiration.

7. Alan says:

“On the ball”?

Sorry Chris – you attract people who have minds…