Eating My Way Across Barcelona

Film

It’s true that you remember where you’ve been by what you’ve eaten, so here’s today’s Catalan treats – pinchos prepared to look like tiny iced cakes – in fact everything from crab and tuna to, well, I never did find out what the violet thing was. One was definitely creamed cheese and raspberry coulis, though.

Then to Cuines Santa-Caterina for Calcotada, whole flame-roasted onions chucked into a charcoal oven with all their dirt on. You peel and dip them in sauce, then lower them into your mouth from a height. They’re surprisingly sweet, if a little slimy. This has to then be followed by chunks of roasted pig (including feet and tail).

Then a lie-down in the park, swearing to lose wight back in London. Yeah, right.

BEFORE

AFTER

7 comments on “Eating My Way Across Barcelona”

1. STALKY says:

Hi Chris,
    The food looks great ,I wouldn’t worry about the dieting, just do what I do in these cases .I wear clothes four sizes to big and it always looks like I,ve lost weight.Job done!
    Regards
    Stalky

2. Martha says:

I hate you. Why couldn’t you have taken me with you?

3. Vickie Farrar says:

I love “the violent thing.” At first, I searched the pictures for a delightfully extremely ferocious-appearing item; disappointed, I then thought something on your delightfully-presented plate had caused Extreme Intestinal Disruption…belatedly I realized it was a (Freudian? writer’s? keyboard enthusiam?) slip. You DO keep me busy, if only because I am occasionally slow to keep up.

Ah, a slip of the key there. Thanks – corrected! (And I still don’t know what it was).

5. Gretta says:

Aww, I liked it when it was ‘violent’.

6. Anne Marie says:

Oh, I was so hoping you had figured out what the violet thing was. I had something very similar last time I was in Barcelona. I thought it was a sweet dessert thing, but three seconds into my bite I thought, “What is that? It tastes like. . .fish!!!” Gah!
    Love Barcelona. Hope you are having a wonderful time.

7. Nick says:

Pretty sure it’s Ube.

It seems odd to see it on Tapas but it’s the only thing I know that can give that shade of violet/purple and, based on the (longer and more filled with horrified detail) account of the lovely girl commenting above me that I got in real life, I’m pretty sure that’s what it is.

The fishy taste probably comes from something added to the puree.