The Peak Of Victorian Gothic Restored

London

Minimalism be damned! As the St Pancras Grand Hotel nears its opening date (the ‘Midland’ part of the name has gone now that it’s not connected with the Midland Railway), an old friend, photographer Morley Von Sternberg, has photographed the interior for the next issue of the Sunday Times.

It certainly looks as if, after years of disgraceful neglect by the railways, it has been restored to its full mad neo-Gothic glory. There is to be an awesome cocktail bar in there, too. I’ll be inside (both the hotel and the bar, no doubt) as it opens…

6 comments on “The Peak Of Victorian Gothic Restored”

That is absolutely unbelievable! Just to walk through a place like that would be fascinating. What on earth was the designer thinking?

2. J F Norris says:

The angle of this photograph makes it look like one of those insane Escher staircase optical illusions.

As much as Chicago is supposed to be the pantheon of American architecture – it’s mostly the exterior work that people are in awe of. I have encountered nothing like this inside any of our buildings.

However, if the Uptown Theater (in its heyday one of the most opulent movie houses) ever gets its long overdue restoration we would definitely have something to crow about.

3. I.A.M. says:

One might suspect that the original designer was enjoying the inspiration effects of Absinthe.

One might also suspect that a night’s room in the place would cost a packet-and-a-half. Might be worth it, though, just to spend an evening before bed wandering the place’s halls.

4. BangBang!! says:

That was exactly my thought IAM. I’ve always harboured a desire to stay at The Savoy, though I’m not sure they’d welcome my sort! This one one will also have to go on my list.

I can just imagine staying at some rundown chain hotel in King’s Cross for most of one’s London’s stay, but splurging for one night at the St. Pancras. You’d have to have a separate set of clothing just to look appropriate wandering the halls.

6. Andy says:

Looks like the 2nd Degree Masonic Tracing Board. My boss described it as “Hogwarts on acid”.