The Peculiar Crimes Unit Comes To Life

Reading & Writing, The Arts

Keith Page has been hard at work on the finished script of the Bryant & May graphic novel, ‘The Soho Devil’. As soon as I get a chance, I’ll be creating a graphic novel section for the Peculiar Crimes Unit site here.

The artwork has to be seen in its entirety to be fully appreciated, but I love it, and think I finally found the perfect artist to bring my characters to life. You won’t necessarily agree with all of the renditions – that’s to be expected – but Keith’s familiarity with London landmarks is second to none, and he has added a poignancy to some pictures that makes me want to write an entire series for him.

The good news is that the Bryant & May TV series is inching a little closer to being made. I won’t jinx it by telling you too much. The other news in this quick update is that I’ve been working on a secret US project for a major Hollywood studio for the last three months. I’m still not allowed to talk about it (we start recording with A Big Star next week) but you’ll read about it here later in the year.

Meanwhile, here’s Arthur in his office.

18 comments on “The Peculiar Crimes Unit Comes To Life”

1. BangBang!! says:

This is too much – a tv series would make me implode with happiness (I regard implosions as more violent than explosions for some reason). A Hollywood project sounds fantastic – it’s all getting very exciting!

This panel of the graphic novel looks fantastic. Sgt Longbright’s hair isn’t blonde or tall enough!! In my mind of course!

2. Stewbydoobydoo says:

A tv series sounds most exciting, would have loved to have seen Sir Christopher Lee as John May but judging by his appearance at bafta earlier this year sadly unlikely to happen. My vote would go to the mighty David Warner, but at a loss for Arthur. Any thoughts?

3. Gretta says:

I’m just reading Ten Second Staircase where one of the boys(Arthur, I think) notes that Longbright looks like Ruth Ellis, so that’s how I’m picturing her now. Before it was more a sort of leaner Diana Dors.

Keeping fingers crossed for a tv series. Mind buzzing at who might play John and Arthur!

PS: can we please call them comics. I’m perfectly happy for my Lucky Luke collection to be called comics, even if they do have cardboard-y covers.

4. I.A.M. says:

I would shag Longbright in s hot second, no matter what the size of her hair!

[looks around at shocked faces of assembled throng]…oh dear, that was my outside voice, wasn’t it?

5. Alan Morgan says:

Excellent news, couldn’t be happier for you. I get the jinx absolutely. Tell people and it all goes wrong, don’t and it succeeds. Friends of mine chuckle in disbelief when I hiss about the jinx.

As an aside, I was whilst on the throne yesterday idling through a collected edition of old Strontium Dogs. And there at the end? A very early Keith Page.

6. FabienneT says:

A TV series would be marvellous, IF they stick to the books as closely as possible and GET the spirit of the series.
    For Arthur, I would suggest Jim Broadbent. He would be perfect and would probably really get the character!

7. Steve says:

Er….not quite sure what to say to baffle the jinx. How about….ONWARD!!!

8. Ken says:

Can I be horribly high tech and wish for the B&M comics to be available through Comixology (or similar)

Might give me more use out of my iPad

9. J. Folgard says:

Finally -after Menz Insana I’ll be able to read another Fowler-penned graphic novel! Can’t wait for this. I’ve been loving every bit of artwork from Keith you showed us. I’ll also join the chorus & cross fingers for the TV show, it’ll help unleash those two brilliant characters on the unsuspecting masses. Cheers-!

10. Martin Gore says:

I second Ken’s suggestion above. I’m really looking forward to the comic, I love Keith’s interpretations of the characters so far. As for the tv series, James Bolam could work as Arthur – with the right accent. I can see him huddled in an oversized coat and scarf, puffing a pipe.

Love the sample shown. James Bolam could probably do Arthur quite nicely (not that nice is the right word, really). The more I think about it, the more I like it. But who for John since Cary Grant isn’t available?

12. I.A.M. says:

John could either be played by Sir Ian McKellan or Bill Nighy. Neither of whom are probably either available or affordable, but it’s nice to dream, wot?

13. dino says:

Can’t wait for the comic. In my dreams, B&M are played in the TV show by David Jason and Bill Nighy.

14. Wayne says:

OH Yeah i can’t wait, TV, I knew it had to happen. The last few books i felt were very visual and just begging to be put on the TV. As for Hollywood, well Bring it on as they say.

ER Dino, sorry but I don’t think David Jason would fit the bill so well. Bill Nighy though, what a thought.

While his voice and face are great, Bill Nighy isn’t tall enough or skinny enough, unless his Minister of Magic persona had padding added. Sir Ian McKellan, on the other hand, would be great. The tallness thing could be dealt with, as they have with other actors who were shorter than desirable.

Ah, have read those last posts again. David Jason would work for Bryant and so would Bill Nighy, although I still like James Bolam.
    Convince me that someone other than the great Sir Ian could do May.

17. Wayne says:

Yeah i do think Sir Ian is probably the best! now then what about the other shoes, who will fit them? Still think D.Jason would be okay but due to his past…. Er Police experience i think people would just see another Frost?*? or would i just be thinking that? He has talent so if he reads the part and the books then maybe he could pull it off.

Bryant and Frost share a few attributes, but I don’t think anyone could say “just another Frost” about the Bryant character. It might be a reason for Mr. Jason to turn down the role, though.