Justin Bieber Hits London

Film, London, Media

Mr Grumpy here says: Can London hit him back? The singing mop is here surrounded by easily-led screaming girls, and makes me realise how easy it is to manipulate the lost, particularly if they’re children.

One thing I notice again and again is that the children of very media-savvy directors and writers have very strong opinions about the music, art and books they like. I know kids who collect old Tamla Motown records and Buster Keaton films, and it’s because their parents introduced them to interesting influences when they were young. Kids who have not been exposed to a range of influences more easily fall prey to marketing machinery.

So scream on, London Bieber-kids. Just don’t take it to heart when his bodyguards shove you out of camera shot. You can console yourself in the gift shop.

Photo shows The Mop doing that ‘ironic’ move children do outside shopping malls that they think makes them look hard.

17 comments on “Justin Bieber Hits London”

1. Andy says:

Can London hit Justin Beiber? Please? All of us?

2. Alan Morgan says:

And you wonder why he grows up to be Darth Vader?

3. Mike Carrington says:

I have to confess I have avoided Justin Beiber thus far. In the pictures I’ve chanced across he doesn’t look anything special, I saw nothing that could provoke the mouth foaming ire of Britains’ premier writer. So, purely in the interest of research, I typed ‘Justin Beiber’ into You Tube and sat back.

Oh my.

I lasted all of 37 seconds.

That, that creature, masquerading as a seemingly pre-pubescent human male has discovered evil for which I am not sure a name exists. Or possibly he has been genetically engineered and grown in a tank by whatever record label he is with to make them money – a kind of x – y factor..?

It’s like Rosemarys’ Baby, where no-one will believe the horror of what is happening. Is there nothing that can be done??!

It’s just more proof that teenagers are from the planet Zorg.

And it’s highly unlikely that the Bieber wwill have a noticeable effect on their development. He can’t be true evil – he’s Canadian, after all. Girls are obviously going for pretty boys these days, which is rather odd.

6. Steve says:

Rehab at 21 – that’s my bet.
    Anyone else?

Looks a bit like the Virgin Mary doing a “J’accuse!” Or perhaps that’s just echoes of my Roman Catholic upbringing….

7. I.A.M. says:

While Mr. Bieber is Canadian, as correctly mentioned by my Mother above, I refuse to accept any Canadian responsibility for him; much the same way as with Celine Dion, Jim Carry, and Bryan Adams. Imagine the UK being singled-out for having created Rod Stewart, the song “Hi-Ho Silver Lining”, and Russell Brand. No doubt the entire nation would take a huge step backwards in the courtroom, uttering the words “nothing to do with me, mate!” Thus is the case with this Muppet and his troupe of self-declared “Beliebers” [sic and also sick]. Leonard Cohen, Rush, and Joni Mitchell, however, yes; those ones we built.

It is hoped (and possibly out to be legislatively mandated), that parents permit their children to make their own choices of taste, while also presenting them with options not offered by the Star-Maker Machinery of currency hoovers.

One is not holding one’s breath, however.

8. Alan Morgan says:

Aw c’mon, we’re the old ones* here. He may be a tool but the young are allowed their own surely? My parents and their generation never took much to Led Zeppelin. He’s all inoffensive and smooth, like one of these modern misery-vampires with all their yearning and lack of any appreciable cock to muddy things up.

*Some of you may I suspect indeed to be Great Old Ones. In which case and in the same spirit of politeness as I would accord to a black bear with an Uzi, Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn and have a biscuit. All hail you and there you are then, and tell me ancient and many angled ones – was it that cover to Spanky that first drew you here? Yeah, you know the one.

9. I.A.M. says:

Congratulations, Mr. Morgan: you’ve created a comment that’s got a footnote longer than the comment itself. Feel free to put your hand in the sweetie jar and p0ull out a nice big one.

[cough]

Indeed!

10. Andy says:

Great Old Ones REALLY do not like Justin Beiber, as reported by “The Clicker” in November last year-

“Comedy Central’s “South Park” is rarely kind to celebrities, and Wednesday night was no different… The unlucky star this time? Teen sensation Justin Bieber. Under Cartman’s orders, Cthulhu picked the “Baby” crooner right off the stage (while he was performing some rather un-PG moves) and popped his head as if it were a zit before destroying all his fans”

Unfortunately, like a zit, he appears to have popped up again. I saw we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

The sad thing about the Biebers are that they merely front corporate sales teams. He came from a ‘found’ YouTube background but is now run by mega-management.

12. Steve says:

Admin, you have described them as the 21st century Mickey Mouse. Quite accurately, too.

13. Anne Fernie says:

Hey, how come nobody’s mentioned the great (Canadian) Neil Young…….?

Neil Young! Neil Young! Yes, we’ll take credit for him, too, and what’s wrong with Bryan Adams? IAM up there introduced me to said singer when his Cut Like a Knife came out and I liked it.

15. I.A.M. says:

Neil Young’s Le Noise is his latest and is incredible, I agree. Greendale was a bit of an odd one, but he’s back now.

Bryan Adams’ songs fall into two categories: three-chord rock stompers (get me to do the lyrics of “Summer of ’69” delivered as an 80-year-old man in a front porch tale for a chuckle), and “Tender Ballad”. There’s not much variety on offer there. He’s done a fair bit of heritage building renovation around Vancouver, but his living in London for the past ten-fifteen years is one of the reasons “Stompin'” Tom Connors returned his Canadian Recording Artists’ Association award, as he felt there were too many “no-longer Canadians” who were being nominated for and given awards for ‘true Canadians’. Bryan is tired, old, and no longer creating.

Neil is the antithesis of Adams, and his inclusion in the list of “we admit they’re ours” was a massive mistake. No doubt Neil Percival Young is pleased to hear I’ve admitted the mistake. Mea Maxima Culpa

Obviously Cuts Like a Knife was the high point of Bryan’s career. I admit I haven’t kept up. Of course, I don’t have to agree with IAM but he is so often right that I’d better defer to his judgment. Second opinions nevertheless welcome.

17. J F Norris says:

Mickey Mouse never came from youtube. He was created. But I see the analogy…sort of. Everyone dumps on the Disney corporation when talking of cash cows in the entertainment biz. And while I’ll agree the new Disney is nothing like the old Disney, the music biz, starting in the late 1990s, is far more insidious. They’re dealing with easily molded personalities and they ruin many lives in the process — both the artists and the music consuming public.

BTW – Bieber is no longer a mophead. A few days ago Jimmy Kimmel’s show a had a bit about the Bieber’s new haircut. I believe several teenage girls (and maybe a few boys, too) killed themselves in a mass suicide pact.