Why I May Shortly Be Suing Hammer

The Arts

More longstanding fans may remember I wrote a story called ‘The Master Builder’, in which a young woman finds a too-good-to-be-true apartment and is menaced by someone who is living in the apartment’s walls, either her handsome handyman or her boyfriend. It became a TV movie called ‘Through The Eyes Of A Killer’.

Now look at this.

“>

11 comments on “Why I May Shortly Be Suing Hammer”

1. Mike Carrington says:

Wow! Co-incidence… or something more sinister? It seems that everyone is at it. Remember ‘The Shining’ by Stephen King? Snowed in Hotel, man goes crazy, etc, etc.. I was reading one of my late Grandads’ short story collections on monday and came across one by Guy De Maupassant called ‘The Hostelry’ – snowed in Hotel, man goes crazy… Good luck suing Hammer.

2. Porl says:

Get on the case straight away!

I remember renting out Through The Eyes of a Killer from the local video shop back in the day – Tippi Hedren was in it wasnt she?

The Master Builder is an awesome story – one of my faves!!

3. BangBang!! says:

That is a disgrace. I hope you do sue and win.

Plot ideas are very difficult to protect. I think Mike Carrington put it well up above there.

5. Steve says:

“If I had a Hammer, I’d Hammer in the”….oh hell, I’d beat them with it!

6. Alan Morgan says:

Nah, have ’em out for a tustle. We’ll all stand around in a circle chanting ‘fight, fight, fight!’.

7. Lisa says:

Oh goodness, I couldn’t get that story out of my head while having some renovations done chezOphelia’s.

Good luck!

8. Sam says:

Saw an advertisement for “The Resident” on DirecTV ppv today. Immediately thought of “Through the Eyes of a Killer”. It’s been at least 12 years since I saw TtEoaK, probably longer. So…that’s interesting…

9. Molly says:

You’re joking, right? First off, the movie itself sucked all kinds of ass. It was trite, predictable, and boring. Secondly, the themes you describe them “ripping off” your story are in no way original. Women moves into new place and is menaced by possible landlord/boyfriend/etc. ? Yeah, ‘The 4th Floor’, amongst about a billion others. Please, spare us.

Yes, Molly I was actually joking! It’s an old, old idea – mind you, I think I did it a lot better, and anyway mine was made into a film starring – among others – Tippi Hedren!

11. Fiona Burrell says:

Funnily enough I came onto your site today to see if you’d said anything about The Resident. I’d just seen it advertised and thought – oh, Christopher must be pleased, they’ve made a newer version of his Master Builder story. I immediately thought of your story when I saw that advert and I was surprised that when I looked at the writers you weren’t mentioned. So, can’t say I’m surprised at your reaction! I’d be peed off too!