Bryant & May Are Back In Business

Bryant and May

My lovely New York editor Kate Miciak has just read the delivered manuscript of the next Bryant & May novel and has told me she thinks it may be the best yet. I’m thrilled, because I work in the dark without feedback (I don’t let anyone read drafts), and it means I’m still on the right track. The subject matter for this tale? The venerable English version of Punch & Judy, and all its gruesome implications.

So, for you, dear and loyal (and ever-so-slightly strange) readers, the opening line of the manuscript…

Arthur Bryant was tightly wrapped in a 1951 Festival Of Britain scarf, with a Bloody Mary in one hand and a ketchup-crusted cocktail sausage in the other. Above his head, a withered yellow corpse hung inside a rusting gibbet iron.
‘Well,’ he said, ‘this is nice, isn’t it?’

23 comments on “Bryant & May Are Back In Business”

1. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    When’s it coming out?
    I take it that when it is published it will be first in the U.S.A.and seconedly in England.
    Regards
    STALKY

2. Roland Green says:

Can’t wait, just re-discovered your books after a brief hiatus and have been reading the B&M novels back-to-back for last two months or so, 6 down with 2 to go before this one – can Arthur Bryant get more lovable and has he moved on to cola cubes or rosy apples yet?

3. Fantastic! I love the opening line and I love that you are so excited STILL about your characters. I will definitely read this!

Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

4. Vickie Farrar says:

Most publishers like to release serial novels annually; Off the Rails was released (in the U.S.) in September 2010…so that is the longest we will have to wait for the next B&M installment.

I find it peculiar (if I may) that a segment CF readers are considered “ever-so-slightly strange;” we are not the ones who have recently been pondering intellectual engagement with monkeys.

I found a source of pear drops to eat while reading this next B&M book and I have several months in which to guess at a situation which would find everything in that first sentence together in one “nice” spot.

6. Simon says:

Brilliant, another Bryant and May, can’t wait.

7. keith Page says:

Great news about Arthur and Jack. And I don’t think I know anyone who isn’t ever-so-slightly strange!

8. Joyce says:

I can’t wait!!!I have got everyone I know (well, nearly everyone) reading Christopher Fowler. They have to start at the begining though with books in chronological order to meet B and M properly. I joined a book club at work but they won’t let me control them. Why ever not? I am not the strange one.

9. martin says:

As the person in charge of the mystery section at Green Apple books, where Christopher Fowler is the top selling author, this is great news.

10. Red Wolf says:

w00t!

11. Dylan Lancaster says:

Love it.

12. BangBang!! says:

Brilliant news – dead excited here! I’m going to guess he’s in The London Dungeon or The London Bridge Experience – not a very original guess to be fair.

13. John Nooney says:

Man, I never get invited to parties like that.

Signed,

ever-so-slightly-strange-and-proud-of-it!

14. FabienneT says:

“ever so slightly strange” = BIG compliment. Thank you. Being strange feels good, you know…
    Great opening, it will most certainly be a fantastic read.

15. Vicki says:

Definately strange, me and Arthur, love it, are you sure the unit doesn’t need a librarian?

16. J. Folgard says:

I’m so happy the old boys are coming back -again. My friends and I will certainly gobble it up!

17. Karin says:

My favorite people are all very slightly strange. You know right away that you are meeting like-minded people if they listen to Tom Waits and read Bryant & May!

18. Beki says:

Cant wait for it to be released! My mum introduced me to B and M and believe me she is definately “slightly strange” .We are both looking forward to it .

19. Rudehamster says:

Fabulous! I really can’t wait.
    I think I’ll start a facebook group to press for a bigger part for Crippen though. He’s a much underrated part of the team.

20. Oldlought says:

Great news! What would become of London without its favourite wrinkly detectives! Cant wait – any news of a UK release date yet?

21. Al Dion says:

Don’t forget the audio version. Those of us that have vision issues love the series as well. We’ve been left out for the last 3 or 4 books.

Don’t worry, the Audio Bryant & May is about to come back with a vengeance!

23. Jan says:

I was just thinking the same thing Al. Tim Goodman did a stunning job of the first 6 books. Can’t wait.