Thanks A Bunch, BT

London

Most nights there’s something different rotating on the vast circular screen at the top of the Post Office Tower, as I still like to think of it. I can see it from my kitchen and it looks very cool. Sadly, BT, not exactly known for its visionary sense of style, has decided not to reopen the rotating restaurant after all because it would cost too much.

I’m surprised by this, and wonder if it’s an excuse. It’s possible that Health & Safety laws have changed radically since it first opened, but failing to relaunch a London icon in time for the Olympics is unforgivable. It was a restaurant before – just how much work is involved?

I’ve been to the top. It’s a naff BT corporate entertaining zone of the weak-tea-and-Peak-Frean-Biscuits variety. I remember having to change lifts halfway up because the tower’s ability to move in high winds prevents a single liftshaft operating.

So, a great opportunity has been missed. Perhaps the Shard (Europe’s tallest building, rising fast) will have a restaurant, but who wants to overlook London Bridge station?

6 comments on “Thanks A Bunch, BT”

1. Steve says:

If you ever come to Seattle, there’s a rotating restaurant atop the Space Needle you might visit. Spectacular view.
    Yes, I know your views on coming to the US, but things MAY change. One day.

2. Alan Morgan says:

It may now be the BT tower but think of it this way, that’s less people in danger of being killed by Chymes than when it was otherwise – less letters to stick ‘em between.

3. I.A.M. says:

For those not knowing what Mr. Morgan is talking of, read Admin’s first novel: Roofworld. It took me a few seconds to piece it together, and I’d only read the thing a few months ago! Well, done that man!

4. I.A.M. says:

Beg you pardon, that should be “Well done, that man!” Putting the comma in the original place gives it a WHOLE different meaning, darling.

I think the one in Vancouver’s Sears Tower rotates giving a wonderful view of the city. You could stay here and visit Seattle – two at one blow!
    Isn’t it ‘fewer people’ and ‘fewer letters’? Because you can count them, yah?

6. Alan Morgan says:

That’s the very one Mr I.A.M. Top banana that man :0)

Posted In