‘Paperboy’ Wins The Green Carnation Award 2010

Film, Reading & Writing

Well, this has genuinely taken me by surprise! I read all the other contenders in the shortlist, ‘God Says No’ by James Hannaham, ‘Man’s World’ by Rupert Smith, ‘London Triptych’ by Jonathan Kemp and ‘Children of the Sun’ by Max Schaefer, and thought they were all terrific books in their choice of subject matter and style. I didn’t think I had a hope of winning against them.

If you’re thinking of picking any of them up, why not order them from ‘Gay’s The Word’, the charming, quirky bookstore run by Jim MacSweeney in Marchmont St, Bloomsbury? It’s one of London’s most inclusive and interesting bookshops, whatever your sexuality. They also have a great secondhand section for paperbacks with cool sixties covers.

18 comments on “‘Paperboy’ Wins The Green Carnation Award 2010”

1. Porl says:

congrats! But well deserved!!

2. Congratulations! So pleased I can actually email you now, having kept quiet since we had all the submissions. I am a huge fan of Bryant and May, and wish I’d been able to come up and meet you two weeks ago. However, we hope to have a proper little “do” in January.

I also followed you to the Dartford writing group – you had been the speaker the month before I turned up, and they were all singing your praises.

Congrats again.

Lesley

3. Anne Fernie says:

Well deserved I say. I always approach autobiographies with trepidation but romped through this one. Congrats – have a day off in the snow to celebrate!

4. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    Very well deserved,congratulations,you know of course I will have to now get Mrs Stalky to stand guard at night over my copies of Paperboy now that they even more valuable and sought after.That’ll please her.
    all the best
    Stalky

5. Vickie Farrar says:

Ditto: a well-deserved congratulations! Also ditto Stephen Groves’ sentiments re increased value of my first edition (UK)VF hardback copy with VF dust jacket…

6. Alan Morgan says:

Congratulations – now eat cake.

7. I want to say congratulations too – and I want to read Film Freak!

Best,
    N
    x

8. RobertR says:

Congratulations! Plus thanks to mentioning the Green Carnation Award here I ended up picking up and reading the other nominees on the list (which I’d have missed out on otherwise) all very worthy, but so pleased yours won!!

9. Steve says:

Bravo! Er, even though I’ve not read it yet…..

Hooray! When does Film Freak come out?

11. Can I offer your book-loving audience a free read of a chapter of my soon-to-be-published book Inflatable Hugh. It’s on the nov 30th entry on my blog.

12. J. Folgard says:

Nice-! “Paperboy” was one of the few non-fiction books I read this year, but definitely one of my favorites (I gave away two other copies as gifts for friends). I’ll join the chorus and ask for the sequel, then!

13. Lisa says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to pick up a copy when I visit London next year.

14. keith Page says:

It’s all been said in the above comments

15. Brenton says:

Congratulations! I have a copy on it’s way to Australia.

16. mikenicholson says:

A marvellous book, Chris. This is a much-deserved award. As with many above, anticipate the follow-up with primed wallet.

17. Martin says:

Fantastic news. Congrats. It was great seeing you again at Gays the Word and what an excellent and fun reading you gave. I enjoyed the book hugely – brought back so many memories. Looking forward to the next installment.

18. J F Norris says:

I would like you to know that on November 23 I wrote on my profile page on a gay social networking site (that I’d rather not name) the following:

“Christopher Fowler is a crime fiction demigod. Someone give this man an award already.”

My new part time avocation as Literary Seer is now firmly cemented. I guess the key to prophecy is in being as non-specific as possible. I meant crime fiction award, but well… Hey! any award is well deserved.