Christmas Viewing

London, Observatory

This winter there’s simply too much to do in this city – and a lot of the good stuff is insanely expensive. However skating remains fairly cheap, and there are no less than 15 rinks in central London this year (including Somerset House, pictured), which means less crowding. There are also loads of Christmas markets, the German market and the Hyde Park Winter Festival, as well as South Bank events.

A good time, then, to avoid them all and stay indoors with the entire Lord Of The Rings DVDs. Except that the long versions aren’t on Blu-Ray yet! Who screwed up the marketing for Christmas? And there’s the whole vexed mess of 3D films, some with polarised glasses, some with shutter lenses, some with plain old red and green specs, and TVs that operate on their own system.

My personal Christmas viewing choice? (Not regular TV obviously, unless you want to watch Morecambe & Wise and pan ‘n’ scan ‘Indiana Jones again.) Most of these are reviewed in these pages.

Mr Nobody
Agora
Toy Story 3
Inception
Splice
Monsters

Meanwhile, with the frozen tundra outside my window, I’m settling down to write some new stories, before booking those rink sessions for a few figure-eights!

7 comments on “Christmas Viewing”

1. Rick Drew says:

Excellent viewing choices — particularly MR NOBODY — nothing says ‘Christmas’ like a time bending mindfuck!

15 rinks! Are those outside ones? I mean, we have lots of rinks if you can find a time when hockey teams aren’t playing or practicing, but outside, just the one they rejuvenated for the Olympics, which is fun but very small. There would be more if we had cold enough weather for the lakes to freeze but in spite of last week it is highly unlikely.
    We’re supposed to have a German style Christmas market, too, but someone put a drill right into a propane gas tank, a spark ignited it so 5 minutes before the market was due to open there were ten foot high flames. One woman slipped and fell but no one else was injured. One stall was burned and several others scorched but that was all. Open tomorrow allegedly.

3. BangBang!! says:

That sounded like a local news bulletin Helen! Brilliant!

4. Daniel says:

Excellent choices! This isn’t Christmas viewing, as such, we’re just currently snowed in until the plows finally get to where we live, but in our house today, we’ll be lying on the sofa, watching The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, Let the Right One In and probably something undemanding – not that I expect the two films I’ve mentioned to be especially taxing, our sofa is just a long way from the telly so we have to squint to read subtitles – like The Dark Crystal or something equally nostalgic. When you’re spending the day cuddled beneath a duvet on the sofa, it requires, no demands, at least one film with warm, fuzzy memories associated with it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to glare balefully out of the window. Apparently there’s more snow due and I want to get a head start on cursing each individual flake as they fall. I never got around to buying any fresh bread or milk before the village got cut off, you see…

5. Martha says:

I always re-watch ‘Love Actually’ at Christmas. It has a great script and cracking performances by many of my favourite British & Irish actors.

Are you up above the Highland Line, Daniel? I watched the BBC news last night and Scotland looks buried in white stuff. I have a good recipe for bread if you have yeast and soda bread if you don’t.

7. Hi there, thank you very much for that. I was looking for a warming stew recipe to get me through the xmas time, and this sounds just what I wanted. I found an entire stew recipes site here too that seems to have lots of good stuff, maybe your readers can get some more inspiration there. Anyway, thanks again, I will bookmark and read more another time 😉