Anti-Semite Beck Rocks Fox

Film, Media, Observatory

I try to keep US politics to a minimum in this blog but its extremes fascinate me, and if I was an American citizen I’d be very worried right now. First we have Alaska’s own Edna Kravitz peering round her net curtains to eye her chances on the world stage (where she’ll be eaten alive). Sarah Palin has found a new way to become a world leader – not by rebooting an economic plan to restore US parity at a global level, but by having her own reality TV show, which works as one long glorified political ad.

Now we have reptilian Glenn Beck attacking George Soros, a billionaire financier and patron of liberal causes, as a puppet-master of a shadowy Jewish conspiracy. This is grotesque smearing masquerading as journalism, and if Fox wanted to retain any shred of dignity for its news coverage, it should immediately cut Beck loose.

Beck has been implying that there’s something sinister in Soros’ support for anti-communist civil society organizations in the former Soviet Union, and has all but shouted ‘Jewish plot’ at him. Everyone knows exactly what he’s saying.

But with Obama proving ineffectual with his G-20 Big Idea (consisting of ‘Can everyone else spend more to balance us?), the nuts are on the march. Still, the American people are sensible enough to avoid extremes, and will hopefully find a moderate course.

It doesn’t help that US TV consistently harps on about patriotism as a cure for all ills. A reminder yet again of the words of Dame Edith Cavell, the British nurse who faced a firing squad: ‘Patriotism is not enough – I must have no hatred or bitterness for anyone.’

8 comments on “Anti-Semite Beck Rocks Fox”

1. GumshoeDunn says:

I don’t know how many American’s visit your blog, but I’m one. Worse still I’m from Indiana. Actually it’s not as bad as all that, being in Indiana that is, however, you are spot on in regards to the state of things. The Edna Kravitz line was also brilliant.

PS: In the event Palin becomes leader of the free world. (I had a hard time just typing that.) I may need someplace to stay so just keep me in mind because I may need someone to show me around London for, you know, something like 4 to 8 years.

2. Steve says:

Ugh….argh…eep…I wonder if there’s some way to add SP’s name to 666? Then we could turn all the flat-earther troglodytes against her! Yeah, that’s the ticket!

3. Kitty says:

Straight from one of those very very red states, by a very very blue person,
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson

I think that’s why I’m always suspicious of the patriotism merchants. I want to know what it is that they don’t want us to examine closely.

5. Steve says:

And now SP has a “reality” show. Reality? We’re doomed.

We can watch it twice on Sunday, too, and on the same channel. They must be desperate for content. Maybe I’ll watch it next week just to see what it’s like.

7. Steve says:

You’ll need eye bleach and an injection of intellect afterwards. Just wanting to help you prepare.

I did watch much of her show last night and I’d like to say that much of it was fun. It’s a lot about family and shooting and commercial fishing, but even she can’t destroy the beautiful scenery. She had a baby shower at the shooting range and wanted to mention it because “it would freak out the liberals.” The entire family was chewing gum during the drive down to Homer and she obviously decides what film is shown, but it’s no worse than many programs I’ve seen. I think the Downs Society people may be interested in her in the way she includes both Downs children in the film.