A Patriot Explains

Film, Observatory

I have had a fascination with American economics and politics ever since Watergate (I was at school then and read every book on the subject I could lay my hands on). The Tea Party is the most interesting (and disturbing) new development in US politics since then.

You may have seen this viral when it was about two characters discussing the illogical desire to own an iPhone 4 – if you haven’t, check it out, it’s priceless – but here it is revoiced with a Tea Party Patriot discussing politics with a sane person.

“>

11 comments on “A Patriot Explains”

1. Thanks for posting this. It is very scary that this “Tea Party” is getting so powerful. I live in Canada and at times like this wish there was a very big wall between us and the US.

2. Steve says:

I’m a US citizen and I wish there was a very big wall between ME and the US! They’re completely insane, those tea-baggers.

3. Vickie Farrar says:

Hear, hear, Steve! I live in Nevada, where the decidedly odd and uninformed Sharron Angle unbelieveably appears perched to win a Senate seat. These airhead “tea-baggers” are extremely disturbing…they live their own very weird world with an extremely narrow and skewed outlook.

4. mikenicholson says:

Beautifully, succinctly put stuff from the virtual creatures here. Extremely educational on a number of fronts.
    Bloody terrifying, too, of course.

This is off-topic, but sort of political. I saw an ad briefly somewhere on the internet for a 2011 calendar put out by one of the major British newspapers. It was designed by their cartoonist -someone who went by a single name. You notice I don’t have the name of the paper or the cartoonist, but I do know that they did one last year which sold very well. Each month’s illustration has a theme (Paris’ Arc de Triomphe for July) and representatives of the various nations are shown taking part in activities suitable to their holiday (the Swiss are rapelling down the Arc to mark a mountain climbing event). If there is anyone who recognizes this description & can tell me how to contact the publisher I would really appreciate it. I’ve tried to find it and so has IAM with no luck. Thank-you and we now return to regularly scheduled programming.

6. I’m totally unable to understand the USers. They’ve voted twice for GWB, and now, after only 18 months where Obama was mostly fighting a trenches war to pass a rather middling health reform against a rabid opposition and had to deal with an economic crisis that started under GWB’s watch and two wars GWB bequeathed him, they are mad at him for not accomplishing more?

And so, they are now going to make it totally impossible for him to accomplish anything?

Wow.

7. Steve says:

Especially now that the Republicans have been voted back in. Oh woe, woe!

8. Steve says:

Oh and Patrick? You’ve got American politics in the 21st Century down pat. Frightening, isn’t it?
    32% of the tea-bagger canditates won. Seems small, but it’s 32% too many. Perhaps the end times really are upon us.
    Ack! I’m starting to sound like them! Help!

Relax Steve. It’s just the pendulum effect. Obama will get over his panic, the new house won’t propose anything great, the senate will giggle and the giant machine will continue to roll lumpily through time. Plus ca change and all that.

10. Steve says:

Yes, well, I’m sorry Helen but the flat-earthers freak me out. They freak me out more than any other types of extremists. I have visions of Sarah Palin in the White House, her finger poised over the Big Red Button, a beatific smile on her face as she intones “This one’s for you, Jesus!”

Three deep breaths, Steve. Palin is scary, I admit, and apparently she has a new ad out that I don’t think you want to see, but there IS sanity in your homeland. There was even a rally to encourage it.

Posted In