Basically Brilliant Channel

Media, Observatory

“>

It’s a national pastime in England to complain about the BBC. Certainly my dealings with the Beeb in the past have been sometimes wonderful, sometimes frustrating. However, Mike Nicholson points me to this charmingly lo-fi ditty by Mitch Benn on the merits of Auntie, and when you look at it like this you pray that it never becomes a commercial channel.

6 comments on “Basically Brilliant Channel”

1. I.A.M. says:

It’s important to remember the stonkingly vast and incredible amount of quality programming that the Beeb has created over its life with hardly any money and even less public acclaim. This is wonderful reminder of the joys provided by the efforts of the national broadcaster, and energizing to the same extent that anyone might claim Aunty is as dull as yesterday’s fried chips.

HOORAY!

2. J. Folgard says:

Good, good point -the BBC DVDs I own are among the ones I watch most often, because I enjoy good drama. I also use some of their documentaries with the students. Here’s hoping we’ll get much more from Aunty with the same levels of overall quality!

3. Joyce says:

I have been living in New Zealand for the past year and without BBC iplayer I would have gone mad. Radio and TV here are dreadful, awful and dire. When I go home I will pay for the licence fee with a smile on my face. Remember, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone folks.

We used to have a similar service called the CBC, but over the years their bureaucracy burgeoned, governments took against them and cut their grant – and cut it again – and finally we’re left with a radio service that’s not too bad and tv that, apart from hockey (don’t ask) really mostly carries American produced stuff. Except for co-productions. Oh, and Heart-whatever, the horse ranch – oil producing soap opera. And re-broadcasts of BBC productions, although we get most of those from the American PBS channel.

5. BangBang!! says:

We’ve had years and years of anti-BBC commentary from the Tory party because the news programmes weren’t towing their party line. I love the BBC and we should be very proud of it.

I always remember Gorbachev saying that during his house arrest during the attempted coup in 91 the only channel he would listen to was the World Service because he knew he could rely on it to tell him the truth of what was going on.

Imagine having to rely on a foreign news service for your national news. I have heard that some Americans look to Canada for American and foreign news for the same reason, although PBS does a very good job with limited time. It’s the analysis that’s so important, the backstory and the who’s who. You really have to cherry pick stations and programs these days.