Bryant & May – The Graphic Novel!

I may have mentioned (but probably not – you know me) that I’ve long been planning to write a Bryant & May graphic novel.

The problem was that I couldn’t find the right artist. Most don’t manage to capture the right style. I wanted someone English purely because of geography – the books have real locations and I felt the graphic novel would need someone who was very familiar with them. While I loved ‘From Hell’, it never felt properly authentic East End to me, and then I found out that Eddie Campbell lived in Australia and was emailed the scripts.

However, I’ve finally found a wonderful artist who specialises in London – his drawings are peppered with architecturally accurate buildings and characters from London’s past and present. Keith Page still draws ‘Commando’ comics for DC Thompson, and loves Bryant & May, so we’re now busy deciding what to adapt for a 48-page graphic novel. Here’s a rough example of his style from the upcoming graphic novel sequel to ‘London Calling’ called ‘Paint It Black’. (look carefully and you’ll see Tony Hancock there).

Keith has already done character studies of all the major characters in the Bryant & May books. If there’s anyone out there who visits this site and also commissions graphic novels, we don’t yet have a buyer and would be happy to talk about it!

7 comments on “Bryant & May – The Graphic Novel!”

1. J. Folgard says:

Oh, BRILLIANT! That would put two of my favorite things together, and these samples look so promising. I hope it happens, soon!

2. I.A.M. says:

Fabulous! You’ve mentioned a couple of times that you were open to it, but nothing had come of it so far. HOORAY!

Also exciting to hear of the Bryant & May website plan! Huzzah!

Are there copies of From Hell around anywhere, or have they been purged from the Earth in the interests of correcting history’s records for good taste?

This looks perfect and I hope a commissioner turns up soon. Come on, whoever you are, there are so many people who read this blog, buy these books and are just waiting for the graphic novel even though you never see their names in the comments.

4. Alan Morgan says:

Good stuff. I checked out Keith Page’s website after your mention of him some posts back and his stuff is indeed the very thing for a quirky, not-quite-here London. Jolly good.

5. Simon Taylor says:

You thought about self-publishing? At least electronically? As you know I’m tinkering with expanding beyond our audio roots into books but not quite there yet. Just this week I was looking at including comics and graphic novels in the mix. Building a business plan but not ready to roll with it yet. However happy to make some intros to the comic book electronic distributors I’ve been talking to if that helps. Oh by the way, the audio book of Roofworld should finally be appearing on Audible any day now….

FYI chaps, the above post is from the excellent chap who took on our new writers and their first time creepy tales…

I was given several sheets of random material to use in collage work and three items were Bryant and May match labels. Feels nice to recognize them for the icons they are.