The Unseen Bryant & May

Bryant and May, Reading & Writing

Check out the book cover and you’ll find me on the trigger of the gun.

The excellent Martin Edwards (check out his Crippen novel ‘Dancing For The Hangman’) has edited this collection of Crime Writers’ Association authors (of which I am proudly a member), and I’ve finally done something I’ve threatened to do for ages – I’ve written a never-before-seen tale from Bryant & May’s past, set in the early 1950s. One day, given luck and sales, I’ll produce a compendium of their past cases as short stories – until then, here’s one – and seventeen other stories from terrific authors – in a great collection out November 25th.

8 comments on “The Unseen Bryant & May”

1. Steve says:

Still six days until “Off the Rails” downloads to my Kindle. But I’ll most certainly check this out when it’s available here.

2. Steve says:

HA! Downloaded! Now to critique….er, I mean read it!

3. Rena Gorman says:

I just finished reading “Off The Rails” and I loved it. I hope this is not the end of Bryant and May and you will publish more of them. It would be fantastic to see them in a TV series. Anything in the works?

4. Karla Stover says:

In Off the Rails you say Karla Homolka is American. She isn’t. She’s Canadian. I’m getting very sensitive about writers slaming the United States. It seems to be a new pattern, see Kerry Greenwood’s Corina Chapman books. It’s Americans down in Chile helping the trapped miners, isn’t it? We give a lot and get absolutely no thanks for it. Behind every tax dollar going out of the country is a working stiff. Same goes for book buyers! Enough said. I have a little crush on Arthur Bryant.

Sorry about the nationality switch, which was probably in the original research notes. I would argue that the US gets a lot of recognition for things, though, and that it works both ways. I wonder how you feel about all your tax dollars paying for a war in Iraq that should never have happened.

6. J F Norris says:

Any plans on writing up the two new cases alluded to in Off the Rails? The Belles of Westminster (loved that!) and the mannequin murders. Don’t recall reading of them in previous books and would love to know what they were all about.

All the tube lore in Off the Rails reminded me of Ruth Rendell’s book King Solomon’s Carpet about the subway car roof riders or “sledgers” as it’s called in the book. Even though it won her an award I think the book was pulled by the publishers and never issued in paperback or reprinted due to copycat activities. Do you know the book? Or about any roof riding that occurred in the early 1990s that might have ended in accidental deaths?

‘The Belles Of Westminster’ was suggested by a reader of this fair site, and I promised to include it. The mannequin murders are coming up next!

Oh, and ‘King Solomon’s Carpet’ is legendary among writers, but actually the story about it being withdrawn is new to me – it hasn’t been out of print for a long time, and has just been reissued for the 3rd time in 3 years!

8. J F NORRIS says:

I’m in the US in Chicago. King Solomon’s Carpet never appeared in paperback over here. Very few of the early Barbra Vine books came out in paperback here or if they did, they went out of print very fast. I’m sure KSC was not as big a hit over here because of the London Underground background and without maps would prove confusing to US readers unfamiliar with the vast rail system. I should’ve known it’s publishing status would be completely different in the UK. I’m still wondering if the subway car roof riding thing worried the NYC publishers back in 1992 or so.