Bryant & May: The Verdict

Reading & Writing

I’m still reeling from this. Random House, my excellent US publisher, has just announced that it is going to let me continue with the Bryant & May books, and rebrand them to gain a bigger readership. No word from the UK yet, but I’m hoping that they may now follow suit.

The next volume will therefore be ‘The Memory Of Blood’, and involves a defenestration, a strange private museum, an impossible crime and a return to the theatre, the setting of the first novel. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. I hope to be able to ht a deadline that will allow the series to continue unbroken, although I’m also in the middle of writing a thriller, and of course, my first play.

‘Life is all a dream,’ says Arthur Bryant at the end of ‘Off The Rails’ – and I concur with that!

PS Artwork is by Keith Page, who I’d love to do a graphic novel with.

46 comments on “Bryant & May: The Verdict”

1. Cid says:

Great news CF. I take it from the words ‘let me continue’ that this is the outcome you wanted, which makes me look forward even more to your endeavours.

2. Peter Student says:

Excellent news! Bit apprehensive about the “rebrand” aspect but I’m sure everybody who reads these news will be relieved!

3. Dan says:

good news! I just finished Off The Rails, and while the last paragraphs would have been a nice send off, I’m glad they’re not.

4. John says:

That’s the best news I’ve heard in awhile! I’m glad you’ll be able to continue the series!

5. Lou Morgan says:

Wonderful news! I’ve very much enjoyed the Bryant & May books I’ve read so far, so it’s lovely to hear you’ll be able to continue them.

6. BangBang!! says:

This is fantastic news! I can hardly wait for the next one.

7. Simon says:

That is good news. I hope the rebranding, US style, doesn’t detract from the quirkyness of these brilliant books.

8. Brian says:

That’s an odd comment you make in the PS. According to the Bryant and May section of your blog the name of the artist you have forgotten is Keith Page.

9. Andy says:

Most excellent, more Bryant and May (there’s also that short story book you keep talking about) and I’m all for strange museums. A graphic novel is a great idea.

10. Diogenes says:

Fantastic news! Labor returned with the Greens and progressive indies in Australia and at least one more Bryant and May novel. A red letter day!

11. Stephen Groves says:

YES! YES!YES!

Someone’s seen sence at last. Great news I couldn’t be happier for you, of cause I will have to move home to house my expanding Christopher Fowler book collection and will sell the wife and kids for scientific experiments to pay for book shelves, but such is life.
    Excellent news again on the bryant and May books futures.
    all the best
    STALKY

12. athena says:

yay! this is great news!

13. Alan Morgan says:

Never a moment of doubt. Off with you now to do good things.

14. chasing bawa says:

Wonderful news! Now I can happily read the latest without having to ‘save’ it.

15. Christopher says:

This is great news. I would have missed them. I hope the U.K. follows. We don’t need any irony here with the U.K. passing and the US not.

16. Excellent news. I wish the rebranding would keep the distinctive look of the covers, but well, I suppose we’ll make do with whatever it turns out to be in the end.

17. Steve says:

Yah-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

18. Steve says:

Um….somebody falls out of a window…??

19. Vickie Farrar says:

PHEW! PHEW! PHEW! Palpable relief that Bryant and May will continue coming our way! I also have no idea what “rebranding” might entail, but as long as the words inside come straight from The Author, I’m good to go! Nice to hear that a publishing firm accurately recognizes quality when they see (read) it.

20. I.A.M. says:

THANK GOD! I’ve never understood why “we know how this will sell, so let’s budget accordingly and make some safe money” gets trumped by “this un-heard of dead foreigner might be the next Stig Larrson!” It’s good to see someone in NYC actually has the balls to continued with a steady-performing mid-list series.

Hooray!

Yes, indeed, and the UK will fall in line as they usually do, of course. And we can continue to purchase the UK edition so American ‘re-branding’ won’t matter. What are they thinking – use the UK covers and place them in the ‘murder/mayhem’ market? I don’t understand publishers.

22. J. Folgard says:

WOO-HOO..! Sorry, couldn’t have said it better (I’m no writer but I’ll still be a happy reader for the foreseable future!)

Thanks everyone – I’ve already made a start!

24. Dylan Lancaster says:

Great news and thanks for keeping us up to date.

25. Sam Tomaino says:

Great News! I think Bennett Cerf, the founder of Random House, would have liked Bryant and May!

26. RobertR says:

Best news of the day! Now if only your UK publishers could get the books out into the bookshops…

27. Porl says:

Best. News. Ever

xx

28. Red Wolf says:

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

29. Ken says:

Very good news.

30. Donna says:

That’s great. I’ve become accustomed to watching new tv shows and realising if they’re good, genre and slightly different to mainstream, they won’t last the season. Even resigned myself to writers no longer writing the books they used to because, sigh, they have to grow and develop (but still write fantastical short stories ), but series such as Bryant and May! Proper grown up books in hardback with good reviews from broadsheet critics and all. Glad the world’s not coming to this, yet.

31. Peter says:

Hi Christopher,
    congratulations! This is indeed good news!
    Good luck on working on your thriller, your play (I am coming over to London to see your show this Autumn)and on the next Bryant and May.

Best wishes from the Netherlands,

Peter

32. Melissa says:

Mirabile Dictu! Your US fans couldn’t be more pleased, Chris! We’ve been afraid to check your blog lest we find a premature obituary. Arthur, John and co. seem like old friends. We’ll drink a toast to you and them.(Guess now we may have to buy the US editions.)

33. Reuben says:

Pleased to here this too.
    Also I hope you get to write some more comics at some point. Been a very long time since the last one (unless I’ve missed them of course).

34. Sarah says:

Really pleased – this is great news!

35. Jen says:

I’m so happy!! I just discovered the series and have only read the 1st 3 which i absolutely loved. By the way, I am in America and none of the covers on my books feature a bowler.

36. Paul Hasbrouck says:

Great news!

37. martin says:

Very good news for the mystery section at Green Apple. If the rebranding involves different cover art, I’m over the moon. Also very much looking forward to the thriller. Just ordered Curse of snakes for our YA section , so we’ll see how that goes. Congratulations.

38. old West Londoner says:

GREAT. Nuf said

39. keith Page says:

Cracking news! And, Mr Fowler, I’d love to do a graphic too.

40. Mitch says:

Congratulations! Please remember there’s a Japanese fun of B&M.
    (from Tokyo)

Keith your email address doesn’t seem to work – can you contact me direct at chrisfowler@london.com? Cheers

42. jayembee says:

I echo the cheers about the good news. All good things must inevitably come to an end, but I’m glad the old socks have a little life left in them yet. I’m psyched that it’s only another two weeks until Off the Rails is released over here in the Colonies. I’m even more psyched now that I know it won’t be the last in the series.

43. Tig says:

Great news!
    I am just about to start Off the Rails and am so glad it won’t be the last one.

44. wiggy says:

thank goodness the old dears are going on. Its worthwhile writing out my Books I must Have list now. Keep up the good work