Letting Go

Reading & Writing, World

So here’s the problem. I’m in Mykonos (which now consists of clubbers, Chinese tourists, upmarket Brits, cats and a handful of black-dressed old Greek ladies watching in bewildered acceptance of their island’s changes) and I just can’t let go.

I have my Macbook Air in my bag, and while everyone else boards boats for the beaches and islands, I’m going through my Word files like a demented thing, trying to remember if I’ve filed copy for various bits of work while my spouse hits the office Blackberry.

I still feel stressed about a zillion things. Plus, as with all holidays, there’s a strict time limit attached to the wind-down, so I know I have to cool off before returning in one week to power up again. Being a city boy, I know no other way of living than to impose deadlines on every element of my life. In a way, it was better when I ran a company because I delegated when I went away – now I just take everything with me.

Is this the result of never having had a gap year? (I left my scholastic life on Friday and started my work life after the weekend on Monday). So if anyone has any tips about how to quickly go from I to O I’m listening!

9 comments on “Letting Go”

1. J. Folgard says:

Ah, maybe try & do something you don’t usually do on holiday. It might take your mind off things for a whole day & help you ‘disconnect’ a bit, I don’t know… Choose some semi-random destination you’ve never been to and spend a day there, for example?

Thank you, good idea! I’m boarding a ferry for Delos…

Our newspaper (remember them?) had an article in the business section on the difficulties executives have trying to ‘disconnect’ when on holidays and the importance of doing it so that employees believe that relaxation is taken seriously by the firm. Short of not taking the laptop with you (and I know that’s not going to happen)check what you know had to be done within this time frame. Having found that you have done it all, shut the laptop and slide it under the bed. On the checklist for going home the last item would be “remove laptop from under bed”. Otherwise, J.Folgard’s advice is good.

4. Martha says:

Find a cafe withe a view to a sailboat harbour. Sit down at a table and order a karafakia of ouzo and a pikilia (plate of mixed nibbles) – make sure you have someone to talk to – confine comments to ‘Isn’t this a pretty sunset?’ – or similar ilk. Repeat 2 or 3 times, retire to room, sleep the sleep of the just, wake late and commence vacation mode.

5. Steve says:

I have absolutely no advice to offer, because I don’t understand the meaning of “Holiday” or “Vacation” any better than you do.

6. Anne Hill Fernie says:

I don’t even take a watch on holiday never mind a laptop – it’s the only way. It’s amazing how all the crap is still there waiting for you when you get back and nothing will have fallen asunder in your absence. Worth a try………

7. Alan Morgan says:

Write ‘kill’ all over yourself in crayon and have a cool and soapy bubble bath well seeded with food dye. When your partner enters with cup of tea/wine stand up slowly to reveal your living art. Slowly quote A. A. Milne. Laugh buckets.

What is this “gap year” thing anyway? If you’re not working, what do you live on?

‘Nature is my friend, the birds my companions – blimey she’s right, what am I going to live on?’ – Tony Hancock, ‘The Wild Man Of The Woods’ 1958