Stiegs & Stones

Reading & Writing

It’s sitting there in my luggage, ‘The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest’, all 743 pages of it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two, but the third – well, it’s a big time commitment. And today, a wander around my hotel reveals no less than seven Stieg Larssons (mostly the first volume) on sunbeds, so my natural instinct is not to follow the herd and read something else, something that perhaps doesn’t weigh around a stone.

It’s the same instinct that stopped me from seeing the last Bond film (wisely, as it turned out). And we all see each other’s books. Only the girl in the diamante bikini is being discreet, desperately squinting at her iPad en plein soleil.
Instead I read;

‘Strange Days Indeed’, Francis Wheen’s riveting look back at the seventies (it turns out the obsessions of Harold Wilson mirrored those of Nixon in his final days.)

‘Voodoo Histories’ by David Aaronovitch, an excellent primer on how conspiracy theories are created.

‘The Whisperers’, the strangely gothic and Coen Brothers-like new thriller from John Connolly.

But I have to wonder; am I being a snob? My old boss used to say ‘when several million people all do the same thing, you need to know about it too’.

I’ll start it tomorrow…

8 comments on “Stiegs & Stones”

1. Actually, the type’s quite a bit larger in vol 3 than the other two – I suspect the word count would be the same as previous volumes or even a bit less. Wonder if that means the publishers think the thriller readership would be disappointed if the last volume of a trilogy wasn’t the ‘longest’ too?

2. Martha says:

I loved it. Didn’t tale any longer to read than the 1st 2, although I did skip over some of the political filler.

A new John Connolly you say….hmm.. have to look for that

3. BangBang!! says:

We should probably know about it but it doesn’t mean we have to like it. Or indeed participate for more than is absolutely necessary e.g. Big Brother, X-Factor.

I’m looking forward to the new John Connolly when it comes out in paperback. Can’t afford too many hardbacks at the minute (break out the violins). Voodoo Histories is indeed very enjoyable indeed.

4. Mike Cane says:

Read the frikkin Larsson. Even I will at some point. And stop complaining about the WEIGHT of it. You know you paper holdouts get zero sympathy from me on that point!

5. Anne Hill Fernie says:

I’m beginning to waver re. being a ‘paper holdouter’. Got a cheap copy of David Simon’s ‘Homocide’ and can only read it in bed for about a ten minute stretch before the wrists start to give way – baaaaad.

6. Shuku says:

Connolly! I haven’t read that one yet, but most of his books have kept my restless attention. I’ve enjoyed them so far. I haven’t dared to start on any Stieg yet (they’re prohibitively expensive here) but I may just do that when I go to China for two weeks in July for competition. I need a break from staring at choral scores!

This competition you’ll be involved with – is it the same sort as the one which had an English choral director trying to get a choir into competitive condition in something like 6 weeks or some ridiculous time like that? That competition was in China.

8. Shuku says:

Helen,

Sadly, that sounds EXACTLY like how most choirs have to scramble for preparations for some competitions! The one I’m involved with is the World Choir Games in Shaoxing. However, I have to get a choir into competitive condition in the next TWO weeks because of circumstances totally out of my hands. This is our local district choir competitions and I -swear- I’m going to eat both the organisers and the kids in one fell swoop…