Pink Elephants On Parade

London

Not just pink ones, either. If you’ve been in London the last few days, you can’t have missed them; in the largest open-air sculpture display ever mounted, two hundred and sixty brightly painted life-sized baby elephants have appeared across the city. It’s part of an innovative campaign to save the endangered Asian elephant. The Elephant Parade was organized by the charity group Elephant Family. The elephants were decorated by a number of artists, celebrities and designers including Emma Sergeant, Storm Thorgerson, Jack Vettriano, Lulu Guinness and Julien MacDonald, and my pal Polly Hope. The campaign highlights the plight of the Asian elephant, whose numbers have declined by around 90 percent in the past 100 years.

As a matter of interest it’s not the first time elephants have invaded Regent’s Park (they’re no longer at the zoo, sadly). Here are some topiary ones from a couple of years ago.

7 comments on “Pink Elephants On Parade”

1. Mary says:

Aren’t they so beautiful? It’s a very important and worthwhile campaign. I wish I was up there to see them.

Presumably Elephant Family has a website – yes, of course: http://www.elephantfamily.org where you can see more of the elephants. It is a registered charity #1091671, its address is 81 Gower St, London WC1 6HJ and their phone # is +44 (0) 20 7580 3184. (That can’t really be a phone #, can it?)

3. Lou Morgan says:

Is it the same sort of principle as the Cow Parade we had a few years back? Even though I’m only in the burbs, I don’t make it into town as often as I’d like, but I might be in next week: I’ll keep an eye out for some, they look wonderful!

4. J. Folgard says:

We came across them during a school trip in London two weeks ago & the students loved them. A worthy cause indeed, and beautifully realised creations.

5. J. Folgard says:

-sorry: “realized”

6. Anne Fernie says:

I think both spellings are acceptable…….

7. Shuku says:

Oh, how lovely! They rather remind me of the time one of my best friends mentioned that there were sculptures of Charles Schulz’s Peanuts characters scattered throughout the city – if I recall correctly. I’d love to see more of those baby elephants in pictures.

Posted In