A Hot Date For Bryant & May

I’m pleased to say that I now have a June 24th hardback publication date for ‘Bryant & May Off The Rails’, my eighth novel featuring the elderly irascible London detectives, and advanced copies have already started receiving ‘best ever’-type reviews!

But this could be the last in the present series. Although I have several more Bryant & May adventures prepared, the pair will only be back if one of four things happens;

a/ If ‘Off The Rails’ sells well.
b/ If they get made into a TV series.
c/ If demand for smartarse stories not necessarily aimed at the youth market picks up.
d/ If you like the books enough for me to drive a word-of-mouth campaign.

Tough times call for tough measures. The book’s not out yet, though, so we’ll see what happens. Also, the Crime Writers’ Association is producing a compendium of new short stories, and commissioned me for an original Bryant & May story, entitled ‘Bryant & May In The Soup’. More details when I get them.

24 comments on “A Hot Date For Bryant & May”

1. cloe says:

of course it will sells well! I’m soooo looking forward to it.

2. Porl says:

Chris are you doing signings and p.a.’s for the release? If so please please please can you come oop North Manchesterwards? 🙂

3. martin says:

You’re the top selling mystery author at Green Apple books in San Francisco. I think the new one is your best yet. Very much looking forward to selling it.

4. Barbara says:

I just discovered the series while browsing the mystery stacks in the local library. Have recommended it to my reader friends. Looking forward to the next one. Hope there will be others.

5. Mary says:

The cover artwork is very clever. Something exciting to anticipate.

I’m really hoping to tour and sign as much as possible – I’ll definitely be doing events in London, so watch the ‘Where Am I?’ section of the site…

7. Alan says:

I have my pennies handy.

8. Alan Morgan says:

Our local bookshop (Cockermouth)was washed away in the floods and now occupies a small office. The floods also turned the tiny, grotty and lovingly smelly second hand bookshop into a cleaner, more brightly lit establishment. I cannot in all honesty suggest how big you are in a corner of Cumbria, mind…

9. Mike Cane says:

>>>But this could be the last in the present series.

Oh dear god. Here we go again. Now where did I put my power of persuasion — aka, the mafia baseball bat?

Bryant & May are meant to be like Doctor Who. Sure, take a breather, but get it through your head they are to live forever.

And don’t squawk like Conan Doyle or I’ll sic some damned phantoms or something on ya.

10. I.A.M. says:

Pre-ordered. Now I just have to wait for …September? Dear God…

11. joyce bovee says:

mr metaphor sir simile
    delightful descriptions
    am still slogging thru london streets
    with the two old geezers
    with “specks of flint dancing like reflecting stars”
    grew up with writers in berkeley california 1940’s
    words are as jewels strung across the pages
    i get your delightful books thru library
    which borrows them other book palaces
    thanks for the hours with eyes burning
    ’cause cannot quit reading
    just waiting for the next twist and wonderour words
    in new mexico usa

12. Jefy says:

That’s exciting news.

13. Lionn says:

I do hope the Bryant & May books will continue for a long, long time. It would be a terrible shame if their adventures were to come to a halt.

14. Sandy Higgins says:

If memory serves, you posted a Bryant and May short story during the Christmas season. I was offline due to a move and missed it. What was the title and is it/will it be published elsewhere? Are there any other published short stories? I can’t bear the thought of no more Bryant and May! By the way, The Water Room and The Victoria Vanishes are my absolute favorites.

15. Sandy Higgins says:

Have you considered writing any Young Adult books? My own youth (a son)recently brought home Charlie Fletcher’s Stoneheart Trilogy which takes place in the London world of statues vs. gargoyles. One of the things I love best about you is your eye for the “forgotten” things/places of London. While I thoroughly enjoyed the series, I couldn’t help thinking every few pages “How much better this would have been if Christopher Fowler had written this.” I work in the schools and there is a need for clever youth books aimed more at the male audience. Youths are communal with books — good books get passed around and then on to younger siblings who pass them on. Bewildered family members happily latch on to books as gifts. Not a bad market, really.

The title of the Bryant and May short Story was ‘Bryant & May’s Mystery Tour’, and there’s another out later this year called ‘Bryant & May In The Soup’.

And my first teen novel, ‘Hellion: The Curse Of Snakes’, is out now, details elsewhere on this site.

17. Kristen Reed says:

I do adore the B&M books, but I’d like to see some more writing in your earlier subject matter. I’ve still got lots of catching up to do on your earlier books, and I’d read just about anything you’d choose to write on. And I do what I can to spread the good word about your work, verbally and online (the earlier bookseller in me requires it)!

18. Absolutely ADORE the B&M series so definitely hope it’s going to continue. I picked up Seventy-Seven Clocks by chance and got sucked into the entire series . Since then, I have (proudly) succeeded in shoving it into the hands of a friend who has also become a fan.

US two Singaporean fangirls will continue doing our bit in pestering persuading others to give the series a go~

19. Jo McIntosh says:

Please don’t make this the last! Not only will I be devastated but also John, who works in my local library and is also a fan. Can’t wait for June 24th!

20. Chris Hoade says:

Plllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can we have more B&M?

21. Bronwyn Soell says:

Just wanted to say that I discovered your PCU books on a recent trip and am now experiencing an intense writer-crush on them! I live outside of Chicago, but my mother’s family is originally from Wales and on a recent trip to see them, my mother, son and I spent several days staying in a London flat. It is such an amazing city, filled with old souls and resonance, but at the same time, so utterly modern that it blew me away. I would love to come back soon for another visit, but until I can, your writing really seems to embody the city of London that I experienced. Thank you for your excellent work and keep writing- I will gladly recommend your books and keep reading and buying them.

22. Joss Bundy says:

Noooooo, you cant let B+M go. It would be like loosing two slightly embarrassing eccentric members of ones family. I, like you have lived all my life in London, know all sorts of boring trivia about hidden places, love disused underground stations and having worked in many London theatres feel fully qualified to be one of Arthur and John’s number one fans. I’ll never forget discovering Full Dark House for the first time and feeling here was an author I could feel totally at ease with. I also then filled in all the blanks with Roof World, Soho Black etc etc whilst waiting for more from the PCU to come along. If we have too long a gap between books I shall get terribly worried about Crippen…

23. Ken Shinn says:

Am really looking forward to this, having just finished On The Loose. Sincerely hoping that the vile Mr Fox gets his. Longbright (and Bryant) on the vengeance trail? Their bad side is a dangerous place to be…

24. Jeremy Cook says:

To be frank, I had never heard of you before a friend gave me “Paperboy” as a present. I started reading it last evening and finished on the train to work this morning. If anybody looking at this message hasn’t read it (which I doubt) then I urge them to do so. A wonderful book. As touching as was funny. Which is very touching. I am not a great lover of detective fiction, but on the basis of “Paperboy” I am about to embark on Bryant and May (or Swan and Vesta, as your school friend had it).