Black Static, Back From The Dead, Bryant & May On The Loose,

Reading & Writing

I work at home. ‘Yes, but what do you do all day?’ I’m often asked.
So in the spirit of keeping you up-to-date with what I’m writing, here’s what I’m actually doing this year. I think it’s probably about the same as any other writer, a mix of projects that will remain stillborn and others that will fly.

Later this month, the ‘Paperboy’ paperback hits the stands, although not at WHSmith, who apparently considered it ‘too upmarket’. There will be a compo to win copies later in the month, and you can decide then if it’s too upmarket or not.

In May, ‘Hellion: Curse Of Snakes’ comes out from Andersen Press. This teen horror reboots the Medusa legend to a North London council estate, and may develop into a series.

In June comes ‘Bryant & May Off The Rails’, which I think is possible my favourite B&M title to date, as my ageing detectives get into the tunnels of the London Underground system, searching for a ghoulish, impossible killer.

Also, there will be a variety of new short stories appearing in anthologies from PS Publishing’s ‘Gutshot’, a collection of Western-themed tales, to ‘Back From The Dead: The Legacy Of The Pan Books Of Horror’.

On the press front, I continue my regular ‘Interference’ column in ‘Black Static’ and ‘Forgotten Authors’ in the Independent On Sunday. I’ll be covering the Harrogate Crime Festival for the Financial Times, where I’m now the crime reviewer, and I’ll be writing about the World Horror Convention.

I have finished the 8th draft of my screenplay ‘Hell Train’, and am finally happy with it. Now to find a buyer. Take it to Hollywood and they’ll treat you like the enemy, take it around the UK and they’ll tell you they have no money. What this really means is ‘I have my own pet projects and I’m not interested in yours.’ In British film terms realism is in, fantasy is hard to finance. Last year’s ‘Franklyn’ was a brave stab at producing a low budget British fantasy and should have been greeted with applause. Instead it was ignored. At least ‘Moon’ found an audience. But these films are made through network connections and sheer chance.

I’m now at work on several projects; I have knockout plots for two new Bryant & May books, and I’m halfway through my first thriller, ‘There’s Something I Haven’t Told You.’
There are other long-term plans – a big supernatural thriller, a sequel to ‘Paperboy’ called ‘Film Freak’ and ‘Invisible Ink’, my collected volume on Forgotten Authors. So now you know why I haven’t done the hoovering this week.

7 comments on “Black Static, Back From The Dead, Bryant & May On The Loose,”

1. Mike Cane says:

>>>I’ve finished a brand-new collection of eighteen horror stories called ‘The Horrors’. My last collection won seven awards, but this one is yet to find a publisher.

Grrrrrrrrr.

2. Brian says:

I look forward to B&M wandering through the underground which is, I think, a much under utilised locale for London based stories.

Gaiman made good use of it in “Neverwhere” but I consider Tobias Hill’s “Underground” to be the benchmark.

3. I.A.M. says:

Mike: Sadly, I’ve grown used to this reality, even before the recent change to publishing’s world. “No one wants to read collections of Short Stories”, they claim. “Collections are much harder to sell than novels; practically impossible, actually.” So, again, it’s all the fault of ‘those naughty readers’. If only we would learn to buy what we’re told, eh? [end sarcastic tone]

Brian: have a hunt for Christopher Golden & Tim Lebbon’s co-written novel Mind the Gap out three years ago or so, set mostly in the world of the youth gangs of the Underground of London, possibly published by Spectra. It’s the first novel of a series they’re doing about ‘The Hidden Worlds of Cities around the Globe’, the second one being set in New Orleans.

Admin: Actually, the place could use a wipe-down with a dust-cloth. Crack-to, could you?

4. David Goldstraw says:

Not sure where to put this so I’m sticking it in this category.
    I’ve just finished reading ‘Paperboy’ and found it highly entertaining and amusing. In the spirit of your inquisitiveness as a child I made a list as I read of the words that I either didn’t know the meaning of or that I liked.
    Here’s my list :
    pilaster
    extemporised
    ailurophobe
    phlegmatic
    lassitude
    gambit
    swozzles(couldn’t find a definition for this in the dictionary.
    What is a swoazzle?)
    gewgaws (love this one)
    occluded
    sargasso (now ‘Wide Sargasso Sea” makes sense)
    execrable
    solipsistic
    gerund
    roundelay
    sussuration (another without a definition)
    narcoleptic
    shoek
    senescence
    garret ( I thought it meant a fort)
    chimerical (another favourite)
    cilia
    heuristic

All of them from one book. Thanks Christopher. Brilliant.

5. I just finished reading B&M On the Loose and although you broke my heart a little, it was brilliant. I can’t wait to read B&M Off the Rails.

6. Satyavati D'Antoni says:

Sussuration – an indistinct global sort-of whisper like sound: grasses waving, leaves shifting, waves dissolving in sand. Cheers from another CF fan, Pacific Northwest US.

7. Al Dion says:

I was hooked on Bryant and Mays with the first book I read. Problem is I can’t read. That is my dyslexia makes it very difficult. I turned to audio books a couple years ago and it has opened the world to me. I’ve been watching dailey for the release of your new books in audio, and from what I’ve seen many other have as well. Please don’t stop production of these audio books. There are thousands of us out here that depend on them.

Al Dion, Tampa, Florida